Chapter 9 - The Rare Mating Ritual of Mia Valiente

After what feels like forever, the bell rings, and I stand to gather my stuff, taking my time to make sure I have everything.

Behind me, I can already hear a few of the girls in the class introducing themselves to Hunter. One of them even offers to show him around.

Part of me is relieved. I guess it won't be so difficult to stay away from him after all. But another part of me is a little disappointed.

I didn't expect to get rid of him so quickly.

I'm pleasantly surprised though when I hear him tell her thanks, but he's already got someone to show him around. As the girls leave, I turn around to find him sitting on his desk waiting for me patiently, and an unexpected feeling of content washes over me.

That was nice of him.

When he sees that I've finished, he gets to his feet. "So, where to now?" he asks.

"Well, our next class is math, so how about you head to your locker to get your books, and meet me back at mine when you're done? Then I can show you where the classroom is," I suggest as we both walk out the door.

"Sounds good to me," Hunter replies before leaning in to me. "Try not to miss me too much," he says with a grin. It's a charming smile, one that I'm sure makes every girl who sees it swoon, and under normal circumstances, I'm sure I'd be no exception.

But these aren't normal circumstances, and I really can't afford to let him see me swoon.

So I take a step back from him and laugh. "I'll do my best," I reply.

He gives me a look, a smirk on his face, like he doesn't understand me but he will. Then he turns around, and heads down the hallway in the opposite direction.

I can't help but smile at his retreating figure for a moment before turning around. I'm still smiling as I make my way to my own locker.

However, as soon as I look up, I see Rose leaning against a row of lockers staring at me with a smirk and a raised eyebrow.

"Well, well, do my eyes deceive me? Or did I just witness the rare mating ritual of Mia Valiente?" she asks, a smug smile on her face.

My face falls. "Please, we were just talking, Rose," I reply, walking past her.

"That was not just talking," she says, following me. "Who's the guy, Mia?" she asks with a sly smile.

"His name's Hunter. He's new."

"Well, thank you. That completely explains why he's following you around like a lost puppy," she says with a roll of her eyes.

I raise my hands in mock defense. "Principal's orders, I swear. Plus, I kind of promised I'd show him around.."

Rose interjects before I can explain further. "Wait, you promised?? When? Do you know him? And if so, how come I've never heard of him before?" she asks wide-eyed.

"No, I don't know him. I met him yesterday," I say.

I take a deep breath and then blurt everything else out at once like one long, embarrassing, run-on sentence. "He kind of...saved me from these sketchy guys then after that, he walked me home, and we started talking, he told me he was coming to our school, I said I'd show him around. The end," I finish without even taking a breath.

"Wait, wait, Mia, slow down, he saved you? What guys? Explain," she demands, looking worried.

By the time we reach my locker, I've given her details on the whole situation, and she's staring at me open-mouthed.