Chapter 17 - Did You Just Describe My Butt with the Word Stalker?

The following Monday when my alarm goes off at six am, for the first time in a long time, I wake up happy.

I know that sounds crazy considering it's a Monday. I mean, usually I'd be rolling out of bed like a dead person, but this Monday is different. This is the first time I'm going to see Hunter since the track meet on Saturday where we had our heart to heart.

Quite honestly, I'm still stunned that a boy like that would even want to glance in my direction, let alone have feelings for me. I still don't know what we are exactly, but today feels like a fresh start for me, in more ways than one.

When they say the truth will set you free, they aren't lying. After finally getting all those insecurities and fears and worries out in the open, I feel different, like maybe I can finally put all of it behind me. I feel lighter, and even though I just woke up, I can already tell that today's going to be a good day.

Of course, Hunter's not the only reason for that. The other reason is that there's no practice today, which is always an automatic improvement. Things may be a little bit easier for me now, but I still hate Track with a burning passion, and any day I get a break from it is a win.

In addition to not having to run until my lungs give out, no practice also means that I can actually spend a little bit of extra time getting ready this morning. Normally, I do my hair for practicality more than anything, and I look..presentable. But today, I want to look more than presentable. I want to be noticeable, and that's going to take a little more work.

You know, my sleep is very important to me. I mean, I don't like to sleep too late into the day, but I don't like waking up earlier than I have to, especially on school days. So the fact that I woke up thirty minutes earlier than usual just shows how much I must like this boy, and I do really like him.

I work on my hair and end up putting it in a half-up, half-down style I saw on youtube. It takes about thirty minutes and five hair pins to finally get it right, but when I'm finished, I'm feeling a bit more confident than usual.

Next, I turn my attention to my face and hesitantly reach for the makeup bag I have under my sink. I don't usually wear make-up for anything other than special occasions. Mainly because when I'm at practice,  I'd just end up sweating it off anyway.

Today feels like a little bit of a special occasion though. Still, I decide to just go with mascara. After all, I'm still learning how to do makeup, and I don't want to look ridiculous. Besides, the last thing I want to do is change myself for Hunter. Like I said, this is a new start for me, and I'm not going to compromise myself again.

Sadly, I'm still stuck wearing my school uniform, so my clothes can't be helped, but still, it's a definite improvement over my usual look. Next thing I know, it's almost time for me to head to school.

Just as I'm gathering my books and shoving them into my backpack, my phone buzzes, and I look down at the screen to see a message from Hunter:

Hunter: Hey, I'm really sorry, but I can't walk you to school today.
I'm having some family problems, so I'm gonna be a little late.

Of course, I'm relieved that he isn't texting to tell me that he didn't mean anything he said on saturday and that he "just wants to be friends," because honestly that's what I was expecting, but I'm also a little worried. Family problems?

I quickly reply.

Me: Oh, that's ok. It's no problem. Is everything alright?

As I stand there waiting for his reply, the few seconds seem to stretch into hours. Maybe I should've waited a few minutes to respond. What if he thinks I was waiting by the phone or something? The last thing I want is to come off as clingy.