Part 2.1

Ruby's watching me with beaded amethyst eyes. My cauldron has just started to bubble, not a true boil, but it wasn't far from it. Ruby's ahead of me. She's already added her sage. Her potion has turned a delightful goblin green, while mine is still a grey eyesore.

It doesn't matter. I'm taking things slow on purpose. I can't afford a repeat of last year's disaster. I have a reputation to repair.

I count to three and add the fire quartz. Three carats, added in thirds. It has to be added right before the liquid reaches a full boil for the potion to come out right. I add the sage and hold my breath.

Ruby's watching me eagerly. If she had her way, the entire cauldron would explode in my face. But she is not having her way.

The potion quivers.

A pop of steam.

And it's goblin green.

I grin from ear to ear. Ruby looks disappointed.

There's a reason she wants me to meet with disaster. She thinks it'll prove that I'm not normal. Ruby, you see, thinks I'm a witch.

I can't really blame her for that.

After all, I really am a witch.

*

My cat Onyx stretches out at my feet. The potion came out right. That's a first for you.

I chuck a sock at him. He ducks. It was not a first for me, thank you very much.

"Ruby's still on my back," I say, as he chases the sock down. He brings it back clamped down in his mouth. I yank it out and toss it to the floor. That's going in the laundry. If he enjoys bad smells, that's his problem. But I'm not running a cat infirmary here.

"I almost stuffed up the wart medicine again because of her," I continue. "And I did stuff up the truth potion, because she wouldn't stop humming and tapping her foot."

At least you didn't burn the building down again, Onyx says brightly.

I glare at him. I didn't need to be reminded of that incident?

Being a witch isn't easy. Especially when you don't know you are one. I've had training now, from Onyx, but it still isn't a walk in the hills. I'm the only witch left alive. The world has forgotten us, dumped us into the slush of fairytales and myths. But we're no fairytale. We're real, and we have a bloody history behind us.

"Lily!" My best friend Addy is at the door. Her arms are full of cupcakes in all colours of the rainbow. Other than Onyx, Addy's the only one who knows I'm a witch. I don't know what I'd do without her.

Onyx leaps into her arms, sending a few cupcakes flying. He nuzzles Addy's cheek. "Onyx, stop it," she giggles. "You're smushing the cupcakes."

I take the cupcakes away before Onyx can destroy them all. And while he's occupied, I pick out all the lemon ones for myself. You schmooze, you lose.

"I heard you've been assigned your first case. I'm so proud of you, Lily." Addy beams.

I'm back at Witch Doctors Incorporated, after passing my retraining course. We cure magical maladies. Addy's a fully fledged witch doctor now. I have to repeat my internship. (And they don't even know that I'm the one who almost burned the place down).

"I wonder what they've given me," I say.

Something simple, I'm sure. They won't want any more clients in the hospital.

I throw Onyx a withering look.

"You're going to ace this," Addy's butter-yellow curls bounce up and down excitedly. "You're talented, Lil. You know the spells inside and out. And you're a you-know-what." She winks. "It doesn't matter what assignment they throw at you. You're ready for it."

"Thanks, Addy."

I wish I believed her. But I've got this sinking feeling. You know how I said being a witch wasn't easy? I doubt it's going to get any easier.

*