Part 4.19

A YEAR BEFORE THE DARK AGES
ALICIA

The jigsaw boy was sick. Bethany sat by his bedside, telling him absurd stories about cities made of crystal.

"The architect Rodda Undeen thinks we could build cities out of magnamite," she tells him, wonder lighting her eyes. "Imagine that - a city made of crystal! Think how it would sparkle."

"Why would anybody make a city out of crystal?" Alicia cut in. "What is wrong with wood and stone? Any architect dreaming of crystal cities must be quite insane."

Bethany's face fell.

The boy gave a little cough. Bethany smiled down at him, kindness in every crinkle of her face. "Your mother will come to see you soon," she says. "She will tell you even better stories." She turned to Alicia and lowered her head. "He is still with fever, my lady. Perhaps it is time to call the healer."

"Mother and Father said no. We cannot risk it."

They boy's face, Alicia had to admit, was flushed with fever. His breathing was shallow and ragged. Perhaps the maid was right. Perhaps he did need a healer, someone trained in medicine.

He coughed again, weaker this time. Alicia faltered. Perhaps the duchess would change her mind she saw him. He really was quite ill.

When the duchess arrived, her eyes were full of sorrow. "My darling boy," she whispered. She took the boy's limp body into her perfumed embrace. His breathing now came with great difficulty.

"Mother, perhaps..." Alicia pursed her lips.

Bethany sat a few feet away, a respectful distance from her mistress, with her head bowed and her hands in her lap. The shadow of sorrow hung over her face.

Alicia swelled with newfound confidence. "Perhaps we should call the healer now," she announced, rather loudly.

The duchess paused. The diamonds at her ears danced silently. "We cannot call a healer. This is the last time I will tell you, Alicia. Do not speak to me of this matter again."

Alicia bit her lip. She had her orders. But the boy's chest, it was rising only slightly so. What if he...?

The duchess turned back to her son. His eyes were glazed. Alicia did not know if he saw them, saw their cowardice. Bethany sat tight, her sorrow locked inside.

Alicia closed her eyes, turned, and walked out the door.

It was the last time she saw the jigsaw boy.