Part 3.13

I have to get back. Addy's due to move into her mother's tent this afternoon. I can't let that happen. I tear off into the forest, leaving Rikamu mumbling to herself.

When I get back to Ta-mamau, Addy's not in our tent. I dart through the tent flap, scramble down the tree, and make a beeline for Queen Irine's tent.

Onyx is standing at the bottom of the tree, his fur raised.

"I told you not to leave her alone," I hiss.

They would not let me come inside.

"Onyx, listen to me. That thing in there is not Queen Irine. It's what was left of her when Rikamu took her heart."

Onyx springs into action.

He scrambles up the tree, and I scramble up after him, my fingers sloughing off chunks of bark. When we burst into the tent Addy is asleep in her hammock. Queen Irine is crouched over her, rubbing salve into her bite wound. I can feel the darkness emanating from her fingers.

"Get that stuff away from her!" I yell. "Onyx, she's hexed the salve!"

Bronna leaps to her feet, her eyes dark with fury. "The hamima said no visitors!" she shouts.

Queen Irine's hand pauses over Addy's leg. "Lily...what is the meaning of this...commotion?" Her eyebrows are knitted together in a frown. She looks to Bronna for an explanation.

"Bronna, listen to me," I try desperately. "That isn't your hamima. Didn't you say she was different? Not herself, since you found her that day in the forest?"

Bronna draws back, regarding me warily. Her eyes flit to Queen Irine, who's locked eye-to-eye with a snarling Onyx.

"Rikamu took her heart, Bronna. This, this thing, it isn't her. It's been trying to kill Addy. That salve is poison."

Queen Irine laughs. "This is ridiculous. Rikamu indeed. Who told you about that childrens' story?"

Onyx is prowling Addy's hammock, making sure not one drop of that salve touches her skin. Addy stirs, murmuring to herself.

There's a flicker of doubt in Bronna's eyes. "You told me about Rikamu, Hamima. You said she was a god."

Queen Irine gives another laugh, but this time it's edged with nervousness. "Bronna, take Lily back to her tent. And lock the cat up before it bites someone."

Bronna looks from me to Queen Irine. Indecision clouds her face. "Perhaps..."

Queen Irine sighs and reaches for the salve. Bolts of ice shoot from my fingertips, knocking her hand aside. The salve crashes to the floor. Onyx yowls.

Addy bolts awake. "Lily, what - "

Queen Irine looks down at her hand in amazement. Bits of ice still cling to her fingernails.

"I told you not to touch that," I growl. Icy sparks dance at my fingertips. "Bronna, get that salve!"

But Bronna's reared back, a look of utter horror plastered on her face. "Witch," she hisses.

"Bronna, look - "

She leaps.

"No!" I shout.

A burst of energy hurtles from my chest, slamming into Bronna with an explosion of blue fire. She hits the floor with a crack. Her eyelids flutter, then stop.

The branch that would have pierced my heart clatters next to her.

"Quick, Lily, heal her!" Addy cries.

"I don't know how." I whisper.

Onyx leaps onto her body, black eyes burning. His torso sags. It is too late. She is dead.