Part 2.5

I keep getting lost in the Cerberus mansion. I don't see why Maya needs 50 rooms. Does she have 50 siblings I don't know about?

We're basing ourselves at the mansion for the duration of the investigation. When you hear the plan, you'll get why.

Onyx thinks the Ariadni is going to unleash the demon on our planet. They are a warrior people, he insisted. To conquer a world is a matter of great pride for them. The orb would give them an advantage.

There's only one problem. Even if he had the orb in his hot little hands, he wouldn't have the power to unseal it. A Phaedrean sealed the orb, and only a Phaedrean can unseal it.

This bodes badly for me. It means he's not just after the orb...he's after me too. He will have sensed your energy, Onyx explained.

It's why he hasn't made his move yet. He knew Maya had the orb, and it wouldn't be hard to take it from her. These "abductions"? He's digging for information. He thinks Maya will lead him to me.

We need to secure the orb. But first, we need to know what we're up against. If we destroy the orb, he isn't going to be happy. And the last thing we want is an enraged anti-witch wreaking havoc on our planet.

So we need to scout him out. And here comes the hard part. If we're going to do this discreetly, the best way is to listen in on one of Maya's interrogations. The best way to do that is for me to possess Maya.

The soul-swap spell is high level stuff. I've never cast anything like it in my life. But that isn't the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that the potion requires 300 carats of fire quartz. There is no way Big Boss is letting me have 300 carats of fire quartz. I'll have to take it from the store room without anyone noticing.

That won't be easy. Ruby does the store room inventory every week. If she finds I've stolen 300 carats of fire quartz, my second chance at Witch Doctors Inc is over.

Me, Addy, Onyx and Maya are in Maya's observatory. The galaxy hangs over us like a serene painting. It's almost like it's cloaked. Under its silence, there must be shouting. There has to be fire and war and steel. Somewhere out there is Ariadne. Somewhere out there is...was...Phaedra.

Hurry up and brew the potion, Onyx grumps.

I shoot him a withering glare. It isn't easy for me either, being here. I can feel the orb pulsing in my arteries. Its sickly power sits fat and morbid in the shadows.

"No one can hear you, so you might as well shut up," I snap.

Maya studies me. "Who are you talking to?"

I redden. "Ah...myself. Sometimes I...internal dialogue."

Smooth, Lily. Smooth.

"Lily's such an expressive person," Addy explains. "It's her passion that drives her as a Witch Doctor."

Maya cocks her head. "That's good to hear. I need passionate people on this case."

"Speaking of passions," Addy continues. "There's an artefact I wanted to ask you about."

I fight the urge to leap over and smother her mouth. We agreed to do this tactfully.

"Oh? I didn't know you were interested in archaeology. I could have given you a tour." Maya's lip twitches. She knows we're up to something.

"You know the black orb from the episode about breath scents? It looks like it's made of black ice, but I swore I saw something flicker inside it. Not a light exactly..."

Maya smiles. "It's one of my more mysterious pieces. We found it in the Death Valleys of the Sarsarus glacier. Beneath the ice were the ruins of an unidentified structure. We thought it was a crash site."

Addy's eyebrows jump up. "Did you find anyone there?"

"Oh no," Maya laughs. "It was very far beneath the ice. Any survivors would be long dead."

It seems this wasn't his final destination, Onyx muses.

Maybe he was injured in the crash. If he was, the odds would be evened out a bit. As it is I'm nowhere near strong enough to take him on. Onyx is training me in ice magic, which the Ariadni are susceptible to. The thing is, Ariadni specialise in fire magic, and witches don't do well in the heat. Since I awakened, the temperature in my quarters has gone down a few notches. I can tolerate a fireplace in winter, but I'm much happier without it. I feel sick thinking of my ancestors being burned alive.

The cauldron's ready.

He's right. The scent of moonflowers is filling the air. That means it's time to add the powdered jade. I pop the vial open and survey the twinkling contents.

Onyx flits around my feet, fussing. Remember - sprinkle. Don't just dump it all in. Have you got the lynx-trodden snow? Be very careful with that. You don't know what I had to do to get my paws on that...

I wish I could chuck him off the observatory. How am I supposed to concentrate with him yammering on?

By the time I add the fire quartz, my face is running with sweat. I let the potion simmer while I catch my breath. Onyx circles the cauldron, stopping every now and then to growl at it.

In exactly 20 minutes I throw water on the fire. Crossing my fingers, I peer over the edge of the cauldron. The potion is a cool, opalescent white.

Onyx lets out a triumphant meow. I grin at him.

Maya has been watching us, her face etched with curiosity. "Your cat...it's like he understands what's going on."

I swat Onyx away. "Oh, he understands nothing. You remember the keyword, right?"

Maya nods, resolute. "Phaedra."

"Then take a sip." I hand her the vial, and take a sip of my own. It tastes like sugared moonlight.

"I'm ready," Maya announces.

"Great. Now go about your regular routine. And Maya? Good luck."

*