(II) Chapter 5: The Spider's Web

It was an awkward kind of silence that lingered between both Francesca and Vladislaus as they stepped onto the platform from the subway car, maneuvering through the small crowd of commuters without a single word passing between them. The pair eventually emerged out onto the streets, the tension between them only continuing to worsen.

Either unwilling to speak first, both had made feeble attempts to content themselves with distracted observations of their surroundings, one blatantly avoiding eye contact with the other, though resistance proved futile. Glances were regularly stolen and hands would accidentally brush on occasion, their bodies seeming to gravitate toward one another on instinct when not being actively and conscientiously kept at a safe distance.

By the time they had walked some blocks from the metro station, the lack of conversation had become near intolerable. It was Frankie who finally broke the silence first.

"So," the woman said at last in some weak attempt at dispelling the tension, "when was the last time you saw Signore Bernardini? How is he?"

Dracula, momentarily startled by the sound of her voice, was quick to collect himself.

"I saw him just the other day," he answered with careful civility. "He is well."

"I am glad to hear it," was all she could think to utter in response. "I haven't seen him in some months."

Vlad offered no reply, unsure of what to say or how to make their present tête-à-tête feel less stilted. But the strain between them was so agonizing and he was so afraid of mis-stepping again like he had the night before, it proved far easier to be silent.

Yet, the topic of his old friend brought to mind the advice the Italian had offered him when they last spoke – let her behavior be your guide. Although unsure if the woman had addressed him only to dispel the uncomfortable silence or if her query had been borne out of genuine curiosity, he decided to take a leap of faith and return her attempt at a casual exchange.

"He requested that I extend his compliments to you, now that you mention it," he managed. "He also asked me to tell you that the invitation to visit again for tea, or whatever refreshment you prefer, still stands at any time convenient."

"That is kind of him," Frankie answered, the strange shyness in her air capturing his attention. "Do you see him often?"

"I try to make it over there a couple of days a week if time permits – though we speak fairly regularly on the phone."

Frankie tried to picture Dracula holding friendly conversations on the phone. It made the corner of her lips tug upwards just a hair.

"And how have you been keeping yourself busy these last months?" she asked, though it was clear by the way she looked away from him that a part of her regretted even inquiring.

It did not take the two of them being blood-bound for him to know that she was uncomfortable and her evident distress pained him a little. Not only because it was he that made her thus, but because if Bernardini's suspicions were accurate, she had been just as miserable as he during their separation and her present discomfort was the last thing he wanted.

In the duration of his immortal life, Dracula rarely ever took pity on those who had once caused him pain – his pride had often forbidden such feelings of charity. But when it came to Francesca, instinct had his heart softening on her behalf. It was true that she had insisted they could never be together in the way he desired, but she was receptive to at the very least being his friend – something he had not anticipated when she had said as much the evening before.

In that moment, being her friend was far better than going back to not having her in his life at all.

"Mere trivialities to pass the time," was his answer after he exhaled a little heavily as if to alleviate his own anxiety. "I've been composing more regularly – something I haven't done in decades. And then there's of course the tasks your brother gave me during my absence, along with a couple of other leads I acquired in the meantime."