(II) Chapter 30: In Plain Sight

The following hours passed quickly as Frankie, her brother, Vlad, and Vesper packed up their things and prepared to return to Budapest. Armand did his best to persuade his niece and nephew to at least wait until the following evening to make their departure as the sun was soon to rise, but Rémy was insistent that they needed to leave as soon as possible.

Frankie privately wished her brother would heed their uncle's advice, especially since traveling during the daylight hours wasn't the wisest of decisions, but she didn't have it in her to argue further with him. In spite of the distraction of these recent developments, there still lingered an unpleasant tension between the two siblings that only seemed to worsen whenever Vladislaus was present.

The woman released a sigh of resignation as she lifted Vesper's suitcase, placing it into the trunk of the car. While Vesper continued to say goodbye to Alayna and the others, Satanas and Rémy also deep in conversation, Frankie took a moment to look back up at the house in the dark of the early morning, recommitting it's façade to memory with a subtly mournful look about her.

"Are you all right?" Dracula inquired, moving to stand beside her after placing another bag into the trunk.

Frankie sent him a rueful smile before turning to look back at her family, everyone still saying their goodbyes.

"It gets harder and harder to leave every time," she admitted, lowering her voice as to not be overheard by the others. "I've always preferred the tranquility of this place... the privacy. I'm going to miss it."

"Agreed – particularly on the point of privacy," he replied, sending her a meaningful look. Her smile deepened as her gaze dropped to the ground with sudden coyness, the implication in his words not at all lost to her. "How much does he know?" he then asked, whispering, his eyes on her brother now.

"Let's just say that our afternoon sparring sessions are going to have to be postponed for a while."

"How long?"

"Given how angry he is with me right now? Could be indefinitely, unless I can come up with an excuse he'll buy," she said with a shrug and sidelong glance.

Dracula muttered a few choice words of disapproval under his breath.

"Also, fair warning, Mr. Leinhart," she added, pretending to be busy with the items in the trunk of the car after noting the suspicious way in which her brother was now watching them, "you and I may not be seeing much of each other for a little while."

Vlad made no effort to hide his displeasure that time. He almost looked insulted. She answered his unspoken query before he could even utter the words.

"He feels betrayed by both of us – that we even entertained the idea of..." her voice trailed off, but it was easy to comprehend her train of thought. Vlad exhaled heavily in understanding. "If we're to minimize the damage and restore peace, we're going to have to go back to playing the roles of common and indifferent acquaintances."

Without even thinking, he instinctually grabbed her arm, as if the suggestion of being parted from her was entirely offensive to him.

"There must be some other way," he whispered.

Frankie quickly sent him a desperate look, telling him with her eyes to let go before Rémy could catch the act and unwillingly, Vlad released her.

"Cariño! Come and give me a hug before you go, woman! I have no idea when I'll get to see you again..." Eduardo called out in interruption, the man evidently unable to distract her elder brother any longer.

Frankie turned to make her way over to him, doing her best to mask the disappointment she was feeling with a pleasant smile as Rémy proceeded over to the car, practically bee-lining for Vlad. But before he could engage his friend in conversation, Armand appeared, cutting through his nephew's path.