⁕Mint💚fresh⁕

"We are thieves.
We steal precious things."

O-Chi's and Pengorou's words echo in your ears.

You can't believe what you heard. What did they say? They want to steal something? ...Hopefully not the expensive sake.

You'd not associate the word 'precious' with yourself. Far too often, you have been taught that you are nothing, that you should be empty and submissive. And that you have  accepted over time.

"Let's get out of here," comes in unison from the two thieves.

Why are they still holding your wrists when they want to leave? You don't understand.

Before you are even able to overthink, they gently pull you along. Pengorou's hand is rougher than O-Chi's softer one. Your legs move on their own, you don't know what's happening.

The three of you head for the back exit of the establishment, in such a hurry that you almost trip over your wooden sandals. In the hallway, just before the door, you tear yourself from their grip. They let go without resistance.

Standing to the left and right of the sliding door, they look at you, waiting.

"Are you coming with us?" O-Chi's voice is lit with excitement.

"Or are you staying here?" Pengorou hides the sound of mockery.

Go? With them? They want you to...? Oh!

Now it klicks. They want you to escort them out, don't they?

"Come with us. Out of here."

You're confused. But their strange behavior raises even more questions. Why do they speak to you so familiarly? You don't know these men.

You glance at the back door. Your heart aches. It hurts to think about it... about freedom.

So close and yet so far. Just a few steps... Should you go?

You think about it. More and more. You come to no conclusion.

Finally, you raise your quiet voice and express your doubts.

"Why... do you want to take me with you?" Why you?

O-Chi remains silent. Pengorou speaks. "Do we need a reason?"

...Yeah? You raise an eyebrow. Not very ladylike of you.

O-Chi puts a hand on your shoulder, you stiffen at the strange touch. You are not used to being touched. To be noticed.

"You seem so sad." The shorter one - Chi - smiles with so much compassion. "We're doctors, you know... Your well-being is important to us."

Has anyone ever cared about you? Asked how you were doing?

You remember. Once there was someone... but that someone is only a faded memory in your heart.

A second hand finds its place on your other shoulder, soften the invisible pain of old wounds.

"We don't know where to go either." Pengorou's calm voice speaks as he leans his fist against the left side of his chest. "But we know where our home is - Where family is."

Family... A long forgotten word in your sunken chest of memories.

It triggers something in you, opens the chest a crack wide, a tiny light shines in the dark. A glimmer of hope.