A happy day turns sour

Once Upon a Time, there were two, very annoying, Pixies, who dared to wake me up. "What is it that you want?" I asked them, not even bothering to hide my annoyance at being woken up by them. "We have VERY exciting news!" Thistlewit said sounding as annoyingly enthusiastic as ever. "You do realise that we have a very different understanding of the word exciting, right?" "Yes, yes, yes, but you're going to LOVE, this." I finally bothered to open my eyes and look at them, the tiny green clothed pixie with blonde curly hair was hovering in front of my face. Her friend, Knotgrass, was sitting on a rock nearby. I sat up and a raven landed on my shoulder. "You couldn't have chased them off for me?" I asked him. He cawed at me, accusingly. "Yes, yes, be more friendly, I know." I turned my attention back to Thistlewit, "So, what's that news I'm going to love?" I asked her, trying to not sound too annoyed. "Aurora," she started, but Knotgrass cut her off. "Thistlewit, she wants to tell her herself, remember?" "Aurora?" I asked, suddenly a little worried about my daughter, "Is something wrong with her?" "Oh, no no, on the contrary," Thistlewit said. "She's doing great. Now please, follow us." She flew off with Knotgrass. I turned to Diaval, "Do you also feel like it's too early for this?" He just flew towards the entrance of the cave, looking at me expectantly. "Fine, just give me a second to get dressed.

After I magically changed into something more appropriate for the day, Diaval and I followed the pixies to the tree where Philip had proposed to Aurora. Speaking of Aurora, she was standing there, waiting for us with a bright smile on her face. Diaval landed on her shoulder. "Hello, pretty bird," she said to him. Which resulted in him raising his head and puffing out his chest in pride. Aurora chuckled. "You're welcome," she told him. I landed next to her and Diaval jumped from her shoulder to mine. "Mother," she said now, smiling even brighter. "Hello, Beastie," I said, sparing her one of my very rare smiles that I reserved just for her and occasionally for Diaval. "So, I heard you had some good news?" Aurora nodded, "I do." Diaval loudly cawed in my ear a few times, a clear sign that he wanted to be in human form to receive this news. I hate it when he does that, which makes it quite effective, because usually I change him into a human as fast as he can when he does it. He flew off my shoulder and I changed him into a human. "You look great, and very very happy," Diaval told her with a sweet smile. "That's because I am very very happy." "Are you going to share with us why you are so happy?" I asked, trying hard to hide my impatience. "Mistress." I clearly didn't hide it well enough. Aurora smiled, "It's fine, Diaval, clearly she just wants to share in my happiness." "Indeed I do. So?" Aurora took a deep breath, "I'm pregnant."

I knew this would come one day, but it still took me by surprise, as did the happy squealing noise Diaval made after hearing the news. "Oh Aurora, that's amazing!" He said loudly as he embraced her. As he let her go they both turned to me. "Mother?" "I'm... I'm happy for you, I really am, I'm just... processing." It's true, I was happy for her, very happy. But there were a few "what if's?". Like: What if the child didn't take well to the story of his/her "grandmother" cursing their mother. Or: What if he/she was just afraid of me because of the way I looked. I closed my eyes and tried to banish those thoughts to the netherworld as I pit a smile on my face. "I'm very happy for you, my dear," I said as I wrapped my arms and my wings around Aurora. "I'm very happy to hear that," she said softly. I held her at an arms distance and looked her over, she didn't look pregnant yet. "How long?" "The doctor thinks it's been a month by now." I decided to tease her, just a little, "And are you nervous yet?" "A little," she said honestly. "There's no need for that, dear. You'll be a wonderful mother." "And how do you know that?" "Because I know you," I said. "She's right," Diaval spoke up. "You're one of the sweetest, kindest and most caring people I know, Aurora. You will be a wonderful mother." Aurora smiled at us. "Thank you."

*

That evening there was to be a feast in Ulstead, to celebrate the pregnancy of Princess Aurora. Both citizens of Ulstead and the creatures of the Moors were invited. Of course I was not in a rush to get dressed. I wasn't even in a rush to get to the party. And not just because there would be too many people at the party. "Mistress, is something bothering you?" "Hmm?" "You've been staring at the view, not saying a word for... well, really long now." "I'm fine, Diaval." "Are you sure?" He asked as she sat down next to me. "You seemed... a little shocked this morning when you heard the news." "Did I?" "Yes, you did. Is it bothering you that she's pregnant?" "No..." "Then what is bothering you?" I could have denied that anything was bothering me, but Diaval knew me quite well by now, a little too well, maybe. "Well... it's just... what if her child doesn't like me?" Diaval smiled at me. "Oh don't mock me." "I'm not mocking you, mistress, I honestly think it's quite sweet that you do have those worries. It shows how much you care." I rolled my eyes, "You and your feelings." He just kept smiling, then, when he noticed his stupid smile didn't make me feel any better, his expression turned serious. "Mistress, there's no reason for you to worry." "Why not?" "Because Aurora will makes sure that her child loves you as much as she herself loves you." "What if I scare the child?" "How?" "Oh, I don't know, maybe because I have horns, and wings, and fangs." "Ah... that." "Yes, that."