Decisions decisions (all of them wrong?)

The next morning Philip came to our room with a request for us. "Borra, please leave the door open," he said as he walked past our guards. Then he walked over to the balcony and opened that door as well. "I... want to talk to you," he said as he sat down on our bed. "What about?" "Well... I have a bit of a request for you. Now that Henry has escaped I am... worried about the safety of my family. I think you understand that?" I nodded, "I do. Yes." "I mean, he has threatened to kill you. And Aurora and probably your children as well," Diaval said. "So it is quite understandable." Philip nodded, "Indeed. So... my request to you... Is that you keep my family safe." "Of course I will," I told him matter-of-factly. "Why would you feel the need to ask me that?" "Because... I want to ask you to... to take Aurora and my children with you. Far away from here... far away from Henry." "What?" "You... you won't be the only ones going. Dareah will be coming with you and... I actually wanted to ask the Fey guarding you right now to come along as well, as guards." He looked behind him at Borra, who had now opened the door ad was standing in the doorway looking at Philip. "Why would we do that?" "To keep the peace," Philip told him. Borra seemed to think about that for a while. Then he turned to me, "Do you want us to come along?" I sighed, "Can I... please have some time to think about this? Before I make any decisions?" Philip nodded, "I know it's not an easy decision, so yes. Of course."

Philip left, closing the balcony doors first and closing the door of our room after him. I sat on the bed silently as I thought. "Mistress?" "Diaval..." "Right, Maleficent... are you...?" "Okay? Alright? No, not really. I'm honestly quite shocked by... the measures Philip wants to take." Diaval nodded, "Yes. I understand that. But... well, his family is in danger. If you leave... if you get far enough, maybe he won't be able to get to you. To us... to Aurora and her children. Doesn't that make it quite an easy choice?" I sighed, "No, it doesn't." "Why not?" "Because I'd have to leave the Moors, Diaval. How can I be the protector of the Moors if I'm not in the Moors... or at least near the Moors?" "I... I guess... but... isn't family more important?" "Choosing my family over my people... wouldn't that make me selfish?" "Maybe. Maybe not. I mean, how long have you protected the Moors by now? Decades, right?" "Yes." "Don't you think that, now that the Dark Fey are back, they could do without you, just for a while? Or if need be, maybe we can even hide in the Moors. They're big. Very big. If we venture into the Moors deep enough there's a chance Henry won't find us." "That... is a fascinating idea. However, I still don't like the idea of leaving Philip here." "Have you grown to care for him?" "No... maybe a little. But that's not exactly the reason." "" Then what is?" "Well, he's Aurora's husband and I obviously don't want to see her hurt. And... if Henry kills King John... and Philip... well it'll be years before little John is old enough to inherit the throne. And who knows if the people will even rally behind him if he comes of age? They won't know him. They probably won't trust him either." Diaval nodded, "I see your problem.

I thought about this problem as I watched the guard change. "Well... you can always ask Philip is he could come along as well," offered. "That is a possibility. But would he be willing to come?" "We'll only find out if we ask him." "He'll probably want to stay here to defend his father. Which will honestly be a stupid choice." "It's noble." "It'll surprise you how often nobility borders to stupidity." "We could also kidnap him," he joked. "Hmm." "No. No you are not actually considering that." "What?" "We're not going to kidnap him if he doesn't want to come with us. If he doesn't want to come with us then we will accept his decision and let him stay." "Maybe we should ask for King John's opinion on the matter." "That... is actually a really good idea, yes. Let's do that." "But... maybe we should eat something first. I am a little hungry."

*

After getting breakfast, Diaval and I went looking for the King. We quickly found him with the prince and his war council. Borra was there as well. He was the first to notice me and Diaval standing in the doorway. He nodded in greeting and turned to King John. "We have a visitor." The King turned to Diaval and I. "Ah, Maleficent, Diaval. What are you two doing here?" "We wanted to ask your opinion on an important matter," I informed him. "Ah, I see. Well, lucky for you, we were just about done here." He sent his council off to their duties. "Philip and Borra can stay," I said. They shared a look, then they looked at me. They seemed a little, well, surprised. "No need to be afraid, boys," I said teasingly. This seemed to surprise them even more. "Maybe we should... get to business, Mistr- Maleficent," Diaval said behind me. "Right. Business." "What is the important matter you want my opinion on, Lady Maleficent?" Lady Maleficent? Hmm, I like that. "Well, it's about a matter your son brought up to Diaval and I this morning." Philip looked at me pleadingly, as if he didn't want me to tell his father. The King turned to Philip, "You went to see her this morning? What about?" Philip sighed, "It was about... protecting my family." John nodded, "I see. How?" "I asked her if she wanted to... take Aurora and our children... And take them far away from here. Her, Diaval, Dareah and a small guard." The king looked his son over, "Hmm... this is how you want to protect your family?" "It's how I want to protect my bloodline. In case Henry is planning something horrible." "He has a smaller force now." "But he might still be in the castle, father." "I see." The King turned to me, "And how do you feel about this matter?" "Well... I'd say we should do this a little... differently."