Chapter Three

Renee's view:

I don't know how long I did there sobbing in the arms of Roman. The pain in my chest was increasing and my thoughts were just getting darker and gloomier. Everything was hurting more as my alcohol fulled buzz started to wear off. I mean I have a lot of problems at the moment, but clearly getting drunk isn't one of them. I mean if I could hard my heart for another liver at this point, I would. It's easier to drink more and care less. 

I wasn't paying attention to what Roman was whispering because my mind just could not process what was happening right now but he was rubbing my back with was oddly comforting. My bad bitch moments were over and I just felt this heaviness on my chest. Ryan pulled away from me and grabbed my hand and pulled me to the grey three seater sofa and sat me down. 

Roman casually manoeuvred around the broken glass that was scattered across the room. He was dressed casually in his grey track pants and a tight white t-shirt. For a retired footballer he still maintained his shape. Bastard can make track pants look sexy, but hey I guess that's one of the perks of being an athlete. 

Roman grabbed the bottle of whiskey pulled the lid off the top and passed me the bottle. "Here you go my little alcoholic." He smiled softy and threw himself next to me on the sofa. I heard his loud sigh as I started to swig the whiskey. The burning sensation flowing down my throat seemed to ease some of my tension. I mean my liver is taking one for the team at the moment and is supporting what my heart can't handle.

My phone buzzed on top of the coffee table. I knew it was Lewis trying to get hold of me. Truth be told I didn't want to speak to that bastard and I don't think I ever want to speak to him again. I would be happy to play blind for the rest of my life if I didn't have to see him again. I could see Roman clenching and unclenching his fist from the corner of my eye. I could see his frustration. I knew he was not keen on Lewis, but he supported me and got along with him because he was my husband. 

I took another swig of whiskey. "So, you gonna talk to the little bitch?" Roman asked nonchalantly. The whiskey got stuck in my throat and I sputtered it over the coffee table. I could feel the burn in my nose. 

I turned to him with a dead face. I could see him holding his chest trying not laugh at what just happened. He crossed his arms and brought one of them to his face to cover his mouth. I could tell he was trying to hold it in. He's done this in numerous meetings and honestly he can't help himself. I see him let out a huge belly laugh. His chest heaving up and down as he tries to control his laughter. 

I sit there patiently with my face expressionless trying to suppress the laughter I could feel building in my chest. Roman has this kind of laugh that is contagious and he knows it. I feel my lips purse as I tried to hide the giggle that escapes my lips. I can see him trying to control it as he tightens his lips. His eyes looking at me with this twinkle of mischief. Roman is the type of person that will always laugh at the most inappropriate times and let me tell you, this is one those times. 

As he tries to hold in laughter, he snorts. That breaks me as his face becomes serious because I know he hates when he does this because last time Jack told him he squealed like a little piglet when he did this. That's when I break and the laughter escapes my chest and tears start to escape my eyes. Roman releases the tension in his face and soon we are both sat there clutching our chests laughing.

Honestly I don't know how long we are laughing for, when it feels good. Roman has always had this ability to put me at ease. For the last four years he has been a huge supporter in my life and has become the best friend that I never realised I needed. For a moment I forget about the pain and feel content. I fall back into the sofa and feel the tension leave my burdened shoulders.