Chapter Twenty One

Renee

Even though I suggested getting drunk, I'm glad the boys understand that I didn't exactly want to leave the the compound of safety. Papa Ray's cottage was like sinking into the comfiest chair with the warmest blanket, truthfully the longer I spent here, the more I wanted to stay and hide away from the word. I mean with Roman's family and Jack's black card and resources, I couldn't deny that there was a sense of contentment in me. Jack simply clicked a few buttons and managed to get the garden set up with some lounge chairs, a fire pit and a bucket of the finest booze. 

All I could do was sit back  and lap up the sun rays in one of the lounge chairs with a dirty martini in my hand. Jack was sat in the one next to me, while Ray and Roman were planning a game of football with the twins.

"How you feeling babe? How's that buzz coming along?" Jack asks with a champagne float in his hand. 

"Today's forecast was, a early shower of intoxication with a ninety-percent chance of a shit show in the evening." I responded as I clink my glass with his. 

Jack lets out a chuckle. "That's my girl. Hey - how long do you think Roman will last before he pulls an injury and decides to spend the rest of the day in the hammock?" Jack questioned with a smirk on his lips. 

"Hmmm..." I said as I brought my glass to my lips. "He's definitely still fit enough to run around all afternoon." I explained as I watch Roman running alongside Jojo. I can't quite understand how his once already tight shirt is somehow even smaller. It's like it is clinging to him, like a second skin. I can feel my eyes hone in on the drop of sweat that is currently dripping from his forehead down the side of his face to his neck. I can't help but feel the urge to want to lick it off him.

"Am I going to sit here and twiddle my thumbs while you shamelessly check out Roman all afternoon?" Jack mused. 

"What?" I choke on my drink, thankfully that action stops me from licking my parched lips. I shamed my head. "Me? Checking Roman out? You must be confused." I denied with a scoff. 

He lets out a chuckle. "You look like a fake vegan and Roman looks like a Wagu beef burger." I can't help but reach over and smack him across the chest. He's quick to balance the glass in his hand making sure he doesn't lose a single drop. 

"I am not checking Roman out. I mean sure he's sexy but doesn't every woman in the world? I was simply watching the game and seeing if he was finally going to score against his old man." I shrug back into my chair.

"Really?" He said in a challenging tone. 

"Really!" I retorted as I folded my arms across my chest. 

"What's their current score?" Jack smugly said. 

I can't help but feel my mouth gape open like I was a fish out of water. I can feel the heat rise to my cheeks. I know my face is red and aI have nothing to retort with. I simply purse my lips and decide to focus on the game. Hoping that one of the boys will shout out the score, but so far the twins both seem to be idly stood to the side of the made up pitch as Ray and Roman argue over some off-side rule.

"Very well I will play dumb this time, we better interrupt their argument before they start bringing up injuries." He shivered as he remembered one of their spats at a barbecue which resulted in a Cold War between the two men. Both said things that they couldn't take back and although it was funny watching Ray roast his son, it was more upsetting to watch the dynamic duo be at odds. "YO! Roman, your beer is getting cold!" Jack shouted. 

Ray and Roman give each other a seething look before making their way towards us. "Jack my son, honestly I don't quite understand how you've managed to turn my back garden into some type of pop-up bar." Ray said with the shake of his. 

"Ah, anything is possible with the right contacts, you know I clean up after myself though. I'm not like your son, pretty sure you still pick his dirty socks off the floor." Jack replied with a laugh. 

"Your not wrong there my boy." Ray picks up one of the cold bottle of beer that has been sitting in the ice bucket. 

"Hey! I am not not worse than this man child here." Roman pointed angrily at Jack. 

"What are you talking about? I pay Mary a lot of money to pick up my dirty socks from the floor. I can't believe you are comparing your father to my paid help. What did he do to get such an unfilial son like you?" Jack mocked placing a hand over his chest. 

"I swear to god, I don't understand why I befriend you in the first place you are one of the most annoying-"

"Charming and delightful " Jack intercepted. 

"Couldn't have said it better myself." Ray said as he raised his bottle of beer to cheers Jack, who responded by bringing his glass to meet his. 

"Are you sure I am even your son?" Jack exasperated. 

"Well you are my only son, I did question whether you were mine at first. I mean you were far too ugly as a child to mine." He joked as he shamed his head, there was a small smile on his lips. "I still remember your mother's reaction when I said that. I got chewed out for a week as she said I was blaming her for having an ugly son." 

We all let out a laugh, the tension between both men exceeds. It's funny even though Roman's mother isn't physically here anymore, her memory is still able to bridge the gap between the egotistical males. Both men give up their football game, secretly refusing to admit that the twins had exhausted them. I knew that Roman just wanted to join in on the fun of day drinking. 

It was funny because Jack was right about one thing, Roman sunk into the hammock and refused to leave for the rest of the afternoon. Fortunately, he was blessed with father that loved both his grandkids. He took the kids off his hands and allowed Roman to have a break. Once that was well deserved for one of the best father's that I have ever met.