Chapter Four

Roman

All I can think about is how much of a dick Lewis is as I climb up the stairs to Renee's room. My make a note to punch that fucker in the face when I next see him. It's not often that I'm willing to introduce my fist to someone's face but Lewis is becoming a contender. I mean really he is a worthless sack of shit but truthfully a sack of fertiliser has more use than that dickhead.

My heart hurts for Renee because she truly is a diamond and anyone would be lucky to have her.  I just can't understand why someone would cheat on her of all people. I mean in terms of football, she is a keeper. She's loyal, empathetic, she has a great sense of humour. She is independent and strong-willed. God knows who the woman he was cheating on her with but she is nothing compared to her. 

My thoughts are cut short by the vibration of my phone. The caller ID shows that it is Jack calling. I swipe and accept the call. 

"Sup Jacky Boy." I spoke into the phone as I brought it to my ear.

"Hello Squishy Man." He taunts on the phone. For some reason that boy just knows how to get under my skin. We went on a holiday following my divorce and I got sunburnt in all the wrong places. I looked like a drumstick when he convinced me to go skinny dipping. The paparazzi caught wind of my pastey white ass and red burnt chest. The amount of meme's that were created were unbelievable. Unfortunately he was the first person to create the comparison photo's, which went viral. 

"What's up?" I ask, ignoring his taunts. I will be a better person today. I will not rise to his lame insults. I know full well if I react he will hold onto. The boy is worst than a dog with a bone. 

"Nothing much, saw the photos and wanted to know if you'd managed to punch Lewis yet?" His voice switched. I knew how much he cared for Renee. We both did and unfortunately he does not have the bottle to do anything so he wants to vile me up so I do it for him. 

"Not yet, though it's tempting after the phone call she just had with him." I sigh. "I'm with her now and I'm packing her a couple of bags and taking to Dad's. She needs to be away from London. The papz are already swarming her. You know she hates attention like this."

"He called her?! He doesn't even have the audacity to go and see her and explain what happened. My poor little buttercup." He rants. "Daddy was furious when he saw the news. He was the one that let me know it was trending." He rants. Honestly how a grown thirty year old man can refer to his father as daddy is a problem for another day.

"Yeah well he tried denying it." I replied. Jack groaned to my response. "And no she didn't believe him. She shut him down right away." Sensing his frustration that she might have believed him. 

"Well good, at least one of my friends has sense. I can't bear to have another Liza situation." He retorted. I don't know how we are friends sometimes, all we do is insult each other. I knew he hated Liza and the thought of having to hold his tongue at insulting a partner that he hated would have drained him. He would often result to discreetly murmuring his insults to my ex-wife thinking that she wouldn't hear, but of course he was drunk and he wasn't quiet at all. 

"Listen, we're leaving tonight and she's agreed so we can do damage control. Get your dad to hire a publicist for us and meet us down there when you finish up your filming." 

Jack's father was big in the entertainment industry and had connections everywhere and as much as I knew Renee wouldn't want to be involved with the press, she would need the help. I knew Jack would do what is needed to help her. She was his family by choice. 

"I'm already on it. Send her my love and help her drunk. We don't need her going all Rocky on his ass. I'm just too pretty for prison visits." He chuckled. 

I could hear Renee climbing the stairs as I grabbed a suitcase from her wardrobe as I started packing some clothes she might need while we are away. 

"Listen mate, I gotta' go. I will speak to you later and send me those details tomorrow so we can get the ball rollin'" I quietly said. 

"That's cool. I'll speak to you soon and see you later in the week." He replied as I ended the call. 

I turned to see that Renee had entered the room. Her eyes were less vibrant than usual due to the redness from crying. Her hair was tied on the top in a messy knot as she made her way to the draws chucking all her underwear in one of the suitcases I laid on the bed. 

I packed her charger and kindle knowing that she would need an escape and distraction. I know how much she enjoys reading. I also packed her laptop in case she felt like working. I hope she didn't because i wanted to make sure she had the time to heal. 

I remember when I first found out that Liza was cheating on me. The boys were seven at the time. I was still working and had training as I was in the prime of my football career. I was broken and as a man I felt like a big pussy for crying. The whole time I was playing, I was distracted and lost in my thoughts. I wondered what I did to deserve that. She made promises that it would stop but it never did. 

As the years went by, Liza would often cheat when she knew I had a big game. She was unsupportive. During our divorce, she admitted that she would want to be caught cheating by me as she wanted me to fail. I could never understand how I failed to see her manipulative ways. Hindsight is a bitch of a perspective. 

That's why I was scared for Renee, I didn't want her to go through that pain. I knew what it was like to have regrets about not leaving sooner. I didn't want her to have the same regrets. I would often sit at home with a glass of whiskey feeling sorry for myself, feeling sorry for my boys. That was the sad thing about the situation they were caught up in our messy divorce. I tried to make it amicable as possible, but as we know crazy isn't amicable.

And unfortunately my ex-wife is batshit crazy.