Batman/Dark Knight Fanfic

I picked up my phone through the Bluetooth earpiece as I made my way to the boardroom of Wayne Enterprises

I picked up my phone through the Bluetooth earpiece as I made my way to the boardroom of Wayne Enterprises. "Blake speaking."

"Mr. Wayne requests that you sit in for him as he is currently nursing a dastardly hangover." The British accent of my boss's butler, Alfred, said.

"Of course, Alfred," I think he might've been able to hear the smirk in my voice.

"You're already at the meeting, aren't you, Ms. Blake?"

"Of course I am, it's my job to know anything and everything Mr. Wayne needs before he needs it. Speaking of, the bottle of aspirin is in the medicine cabinet in the master bath, second shelf, and the Brazilian roast coffee mix he likes is on the cupboard above the coffee maker." I had recently set up a penthouse suite for Mr. Wayne as he had drunkenly burnt down Wayne manor, otherwise Alfred wouldn't need all the directions I had given him.

"Thank you, Ms. Blake, I'm sure you know that your efforts have not gone unappreciated."

"I'm aware, Alfred, make sure Mr. Wayne is ready for the fundraiser this evening, his suit has already been dry cleaned and pressed, now if you'll excuse me, the meeting is about the start." I ended the call and removed the earpiece as I entered the boardroom, nodding a greeting to Mr. Foxx, previous head of applied sciences division and now head of the company. I announced to the board, "Mr. Wayne will not be joining us, I will be sitting in his place."

The first time this happened, they all balked at me as if I were insane, they had never heard of a CEO allowing his assistant to speak for him in his stead, now it was almost expected behavior and I had gained their respect, and in some cases, their fear. I was ruthless in just about every aspect of my life, and they knew it on sight as nothing about me screamed soft.

My hair wasn't soft blond or golden blond, it was ash blond, nearly platinum, always in an immaculate bun or ponytail, no hair out of place. My eyes were the color of ice, cold, hard, and calculating, sometimes more grey than blue, I could make a grown man piss himself with one well-placed glare. Everything about me was sharp lines and hard edges, from my cheekbones to my jawline to the way I dressed, personality included. I knew I could be abrasive as I rarely held back my sharp tongue, comes with having sociopathic tendencies, but at least it's always truthful, though I had found that some people preferred the lies.

"Mr. Reese, your primary concern is to go over the trust fund numbers, I saw a few purchases that seemed out of the ordinary, trace them, let me know." I addressed the accountant, "once that's done, go over the numbers for R&D and the applied sciences division, they're secondary but still important, everything else goes on the backburner until that's done." I turned to Mr. Foxx, "that's all the concerns I have for the moment, the boardroom is yours."

The rest of the meeting went off without a hitch, me adding comments here and there when required. When the meeting ended and everyone but myself and Mr. Foxx had left, he approached me. "Ms. Blake, what did you flag that seemed out of the ordinary in Mr. Wayne's trust fund?"

"A few smaller things, a yacht a little undersized, a car that mysteriously vanished, a motorcycle in red instead of black. That type of thing." I noticed once I said that that he exhaled slightly, as if relaxing, I wonder what he could have been worried about.

"Yes, red is a rather unusual color for Mr. Wayne. If there isn't anything else, Ms. Blake, I'll see you at the next meeting." Mr. Foxx nodded and left.

I took a split second to recompose myself before I put my earpiece back in and dialed Alfred, when he picked up, I asked, "I'm assuming Mr. Wayne is still either sleeping or nursing his hangover, yes?"

"Yes, Ms. Blake, he fell back asleep after taking an aspirin."

"Please leave a message for him; the meeting is over and everything went as expected, I'm having Mr. Reese run the numbers for the trust fund, R&D, and applied sciences divisions."

"Applied sciences?"

"That's what I said, Alfred. Does Mr. Wayne have any other dockets on the agenda for today, other than the fundraiser this evening?"

"I don't believe so, Ms. Blake, the rest of the day is yours unless Mr. Wayne needs anything."

"Thank you, Alfred, as always, I'm reachable on my cell, call me if he needs anything." With that, I hung up, brief and blunt as always. With that, the rest of my day was now free, at least, until an hour before the fundraiser which left me nearly eight hours to do whatever I wanted. Perfect, I had some personal things to take care of anyway.

I gathered my things and had the company car bring me back to my apartment, roughly a five minute drive from the office even with traffic, so I was never far away. I thanked the driver and entered the building. I enjoyed the penthouse floor of the building, with the only access to the roof along with the rooftop pool. Everything was sleek and modern, white and black with a few accent colors here and there. I moved here once I had started my job at Wayne Enterprises, that was around six months ago after the Batman killed my father. But I hadn't yet had the time to . . . "redecorate", let's say.

The only room in the penthouse without windows—except the bathroom—was the walk-in closet, so I had slowly been "repurposing" it into what I needed it to be. I spent most of the eight hours I'd been given finishing up my little project, and now when I walked into the closet, weapons of all kinds lined the walls in high tech display cases, and at the very end was the uniform I'd had since as long as I could remember displayed on a mannequin in a glass display. I used it very little now, but the uniform still fit perfectly.

I ran my hand along the display with the knives, my preferred weapons, and made my way out. I got dressed in the evening gown I'd prepared for the fundraiser and called a car to come pick me up. After all, the hour I'd saved to get ready wasn't for me, it was for Mr. Wayne.

***

I actually have plans to publish the full version of this in its own book called Collision, but I figured I'd leave this in here as a sneak peak.