Legacy of Kings

10 years ago

10 years ago . . .

The little girl was practicing in the meadow when it happened. She twirled in graceful arcs, swept with curt strides, and moved with fluid motions. No one would ever suspect that she was practicing the forms of combat. However, the little girl paused when she heard it.

The first scream.

It was soon followed by others. More and more until it became a cacophony in which her blood chilled where it ran and icy fingers clawed down her spine causing a burst of shudders along her body. Blood had been spilt.

The little girl could smell it. Something someone so young should never smell. The scent of battle. The smell of death. She recognized it from memories of a past that was not hers, passed down from the last to hold power to the next in line. In her case, from long dead King Ximar to the little girl.

The spirit that had given all of her predecessors their power descended upon her. The little girl's blue eyes became a sharp golden glow as the power roared inside her.

She took off toward the village, where the screams had originated from. She got within sight just in time to see it get set aflame by an army of raiders. Unfortunately, the sight wasn't foreign to her, Ximar had many such memories, and some of those played in her mind in replace of dreams. But seeing those for herself, through her own eyes instead of through the safety of another's, was terrifying for her. She wanted to run, to retreat, to hide.

But she couldn't turn back. She was able to fight these men, to save her village. If only she had the courage. But that didn't matter. She had to, so she would.

The little girl took off toward the village, easily outstripping a galloping horse. She made it to the wall in less than five minutes and used her combined speed and strength to vault over the massive stone barrier. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. She had no plan, no weapon, and definitely didn't know what she was doing regardless of Ximar's memories. To late now, the only way to get back out was through the front gate which was surrounded by raiders.

The little girl crept through the village as quietly as possible. There was no more screaming to cover her movement. She stumbled on something soft and threw out her arms to keep her balance. Looked behind her, she saw the face of the neighbor boy staring blankly at the little girl. Blood spilled from a gash on his forehead. The girl bent down and closed his eyes in a sign of respect.

The girl hurried behind a wall of barrels when she heard the crunch of boots on gravel. "I don't understand why the commander has us raiding this village." One of the raiders was saying as he came into her hearing. "I mean, they have little to nothing valuable here. Didn't even put up much of a fight. Torches and pitchforks, pah, I signed up for a real fight."

The man next to him responded with equal venom, "I know what you mean, they were pitiful. These peasants deserved to die." The girl's eyes flashed brighter at their words. Her village was not weak, her village was not pathetic, and most importantly, her village did not deserve to die.