The Dragon King

I was born many hundreds of years ago to King FalconClaw and Queen StormCatcher

I was born many hundreds of years ago to King FalconClaw and Queen StormCatcher. I was a quiet but happy child, that was, until a Nighthunter snuck in and assassinated the both of them while they slept.

Dragons don't care much for death, we know that it's inevitable. But every dragon deserves an honorable death on the battlefield, not to be killed simply because of what they are. I had taken over from my father days after their deaths. I was twenty-three at the time of my ascendancy, what humans call a coronation. I was given the title and power of the king and not long after, I tracked down and destroyed the Nighthunter that killed my parents. Not killed, not ripped apart, destroyed. There was nothing left of the measly human but blackened bones and ash.

I remember his screams as he burnt to a crisp under the flame of my newfound power. He should've felt honored, the dragon king deemed him important enough to kill him personally. Of course, humans are fickle creatures, they try to avoid death. Idiots, all of them. I often think back on that day fondly, remembering every moment of his pleasurable death, the sound of his agony-filled screams, the smell of his burning corpse, the sight of his blackened bones, the feel of his bones cracking as I sifted through them, the taste of the ash in my mouth as it wafted through the air. I wish I could relive that day over and over again.

Instead, I have to prepare for the Meeting of Kings. It happens once every half-decade, every king is supposed to come so we can talk about the wars, alliances, possible peace and whatnot. I, personally, haven't gone in nearly a century, I find it boring and nothing seems to get done besides starting new wars. I usually just send an emissary in my place, a different one each time so the humans know that they are not the true dragon king. Last time I sent ShadowFang, let's just say I won't be sending him in my place again.

He was a good friend and a great warrior but knew nothing of humans and less about politics. It was because of ShadowFang that I decided to appear personally this time. I needed to rectify his mistake before King Nicklaus's army was completely wiped out from the little war he started. You cannot take on dragons while expecting mercy on our part. That's why his army was nearly wiped out, it was a blood bath, I'd witnessed a few of the massacres, they wouldn't be pretty to human eyes but they were works of art to mine. And we'd only lost one soldier, a dragonet by the name of GreenBlaze, that battle had been particularly gruesome as dragons hate loosing one of their own though we except it and took it out on the soldiers. They never stood a chance, especially not when I joined the battle.

ShadowFang entered my chambers just then, interrupting my musings. "Apologies, your majesty, it is nearly time to go."

"Thank you, ShadowFang, I'll be there shortly." I dismissed him as I entered my walk-in closet and riffled through my various outfits.

"Sire?" He paused, I ducked my head back out and raised an eyebrow, his dark skin made it near impossible to see him at night. "I apologize for starting this war, if not for I, GreenBlaze would still be alive."

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, "You can not possibly know that. GreenBlaze chose to fight, it was unfortunate that his life was ended but it was a consequence of his own choice, do not blame yourself ShadowFang. That's an order." I may have sounded cold but it was all true and I blatantly refused to lie about anything. I was notorious for being truthful and I wasn't about to start lying now.

"Of course, your majesty." ShadowFang smiled slightly, "I recommend the green one." He pointed, referring to the outfit I had my fingers on.

"I'm not so sure I trust your fashion sense as much as your fighting skills." I stated as I ran my fingers along the silky material, "but, I fear, this one time, you might just be right."

***

I was shocked and terrified at the same time when I was told that I would be serving the kings at the meeting in two hours. One slip up could mean my head on a platter. Literally, as the dragon ambassador could and did eat humans.

"Listen, Lara, and listen close. If you mess up once, you will be killed. Follow my instructions and you may survive." The Head Servant instructed, "don't look anyone in the eye, do not speak, only move when you have to, and do not draw attention to yourself. If you do all these things, you might just survive."

"Anything else?" I asked.

"Yes, don't serve the dragon warriors if you wish to live." She said before handing me the black servants uniform.

An hour into the meeting and the dragon party hadn't shown up yet. The other kings were getting impatient and their food was nearly room temperature. It was considered impolite to start eating until everyone meant to be present was there. King Nicklaus abruptly stood, "I am getting tired waiting for the cowardly dragons to arrive, let us start this meeting!"

The door opened just then and a deep voice said, "yes, let's start. I apologize for our lateness, we had to fly through a flash thunderstorm." The deep voice belonged to the most beautiful man I'd ever seen, but he looked much too human to be a dragon.

King Nicklaus noticed this as well and asked mockingly, "did the dragon king send a human emissary because of last years failed excuse of a dragon?"

I had to say that I agreed. The man looked much too human to be a dragon, though he was nearly unnaturally good-looking. His ink black hair was a rat's nest with how messy it was and he somehow made it look good, his green eyes shown like imperial jade, his skin was a pale ivory color, and his features were to die for.

At the jest, a presence pulsed through the room that sent every hair on the back of my neck on end. Then I saw the man's eyes flash a liquid gold which somehow made his dragon features much more prominent. His nails grew sharp and midnight black like talons, ridges grew along the spine of his emerald green dress shirt, and blood red scales scattered across his exposed skin. After a moment, the dragon features faded from view and he looked human. But now everyone in the room knew that he was not.

His deep voice rumbled through the room, "Nicklaus, I take offense to the statement. I came here to give you a chance to save the lives of your army, to offer mercy and an end to your war. It is now clear that your pride will be an obstacle of every attempt I make."

"You do not have the power to say such things, you are not the dragon king. You are unable to offer a truce or start a war." Nicklaus countered.

A companion of the dragon drew his sword and was halfway across the room toward King Nicklaus when the man called, "ShadowFang, I ordered you not to attack anyone here without my expressed permission, do you intend to defy my orders?"

The man with ebony skin and snow hair froze instantly and fell to a knee, "No, my king, I only wished to defend your honor."

"Do you imply that I cannot do so on my own?" He asked, a growl rippling from his throat. I have to say, it was an extremely terrifying and wickedly hot sound.

ShadowFang knelt deeper and said, "if that is what you think, my king, command me and I will slay myself the moment the order is given."

"That will not be necessary this time. The next you disobey my orders, you will be punished. Severely." The dragon king's voice grew menacing.

"As is your will, your majesty." ShadowFang said as he stood and returned to the king's side. The king sat in the throne that has been reserved for him yet empty for a century. He acted more like a teenager in that moment than any other as he swung his legs so he lay across the armrests of the throne. Was this guy for real? Was he sixteen or six hundred 'cause it's actually hard to tell right now.

***
I don't know, I ran out of inspiration. Feel free to take the idea, just credit me and let me know so I can read it.
—Fanatic⚡️