Chapter 2

"We will stop here," Andru said to the wolves. He flicked his tail,"Guards, fetch some food please."

"Yes, King Andru," they dipped their heads and left.

Haku lay on the soft grass. Andru lay across from her. After a while, the guards returned with two deers. Haku stared at the food, her belly rumbling. The guards had one deer while Andru and Haku had the other. Andru started eating, and Haku just lay and watched. Andru stopped and looked at her.

"Going to eat? It's been a long day," Andru said.

"I follow a tradition where wolves at higher ranks than me eat first," Haku replied.

"Well at the kingdom everyone shares. So I implore you to eat."

Haku stared at the deer. Her mouth watered at the scent of it. She bit into the hind leg and tore at the flesh. She chewed and gulped the warm meat. Once her and Andru were finished, they licked their lips and buried the bones.

"That was scrumptious!" Andru said delighted and rolled on his side.

"Your guards are quite the excellent hunters," Haku said.

"They are trained to be the best."

"I believe it," she said as she lay on her side. She looked up at the sky, plastered with bright stars. She turned her head to Andru.

"Um..Andru?" she said.

"Yes, my dear?" he said.

"What do you think of the stars?"

"Well, I was raised to believe that the stars are our wolf ancestors."

"Same here," her voice trailed off as she lay on her side. She stared at the pine trees as her eyes became heavy. After a few minutes, she slumbered to sleep.

-

Haku woke up to the sounds of the birds tweeting cheerfully. She got up and stretched. She yawned, and a leaf landed on her nose.

"Haku," Andru called.

She whipped her head, causing the leaf to dazzle in the wind,"yeah?"

"We are going to set off in a little bit."

"Okay. Mind if I go for a quick walk?"

"I don't mind. Just let a guard accompany you."

"Okay."

Haku chose the guard that was brown with black stripes. They walked for a little in silence, then Haku wanted to start a conversation. She turned to the guard.

"How long have you been a guard for?"

"Eight moons, miss Haku."

"Who trained you?"

"Pyro, Andru's brother."

"Ah. Enjoy being a guard?"

"Yes, because I serve King Andru. I was chosen to be his personal guard."

"Quite the honor, huh?"

"Indeed. I love my position, and I wouldn't trade it for anything."

Haku smiled, and the guard smiled back.

"What's your name?" Haku asked.

"It's Jasper."

"Jasper..nice name."

"Thank you, miss."

They continued walking, and the trees started to grow fewer and fewer till the wolves could see the mountains. Haku stopped and stared at the mountains. She saw movement and squinted her eyes. She saw two white figures and a brown figure and another but she couldn't make out the color. The figures were entering this large cave. Haku assumed it was just random wolves or her pack-mates.

"Lets go back," Haku said.

"Okay, miss Haku."

They turned and began to walk back. After a while, Haku heard a puma yowl. She started picking up her pace, then sprinted. They finally saw Andru and the other guard.

"Did you hear that-?" Andru said before another puma screeched.

"Yes, lets go!" Haku said.

They all started sprinting, and did not bother to stop. They ran till the trees grew fewer, and then no trees at all. The ground was a grassy plain and Andru said for them to halt.

"Okay," Andru panted,"we're safe now."

The wolves nodded as they walked. Haku took a glance at the mountains in front of them, then looked at the sky.

"It's beautiful today, huh?" Haku asked.

"Yes, very nice," Andru said.

Haku smiled as the travelers continued to their destination, the kingdom...