Maybe (Christmas)

A/N I know it's not Christmas, but I wrote this for a contest on Instagram. I'll try to find the picture and upload it as soon as I can. It's a bit longer than my other one shots, but I hope you like it :)

UPDATE: THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS OF THE ARROW SERIES. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN 3X01 OR ARE PLANNING ON IT. I will tell you which part you should not read.

"Dean!" Sam shouted. "Dean, I'm gonna go grocery shopping, do you need anything?"

Dean looked up from the book he was reading. "Yeah, I made a list for the Christmas dinner, it's on the fridge, can you get that for me?" he yelled back.

"Sure, what's it this year?" It was silent for a moment and then he heard Sam scream of happiness. "Dean you're making the best dinner ever! I gotta go, see ya later!"

Dean had barely said "bye Sammy" as Sam sprinted out of the door.

Dean smiled. He had decided to make Sam's favorite Christmas dinner, roast turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, a salad and of course a big apple pie.

SPOILER ALERT FOR ARROW DO NOT READ.

He read on in his book. It was a good book, about a super hero called the Arrow. He saved the people in his town by anonymously going to the people who did no good for his city. But suddenly, the book turned sad. The Arrow had a team of 3 people who helped him, and in his team there was this special girl he liked.

They had just kissed for the first time, and it was magical but after the kiss, the girl walked away, leaving him with the words "I told you, as soon as we talked about this it would be over."

END SPOILER ALERT. YOU CAN READ ON SAFELY NOW.

Dean sighed and put the book away. He thought about the Christmas dinner they had 8 years ago.

"Guys, dinner's ready!" Dean shouted from the kitchen, putting the food on the table. He heard stumbling and not much later, his brother Sam and his best friend Castiel came into the room.

"Smells good," Sam complimented.

"Thanks Sammy," Dean replied. "Sit down, Cas, you know it, any seat you like except those 2".

Cas nodded. Sam and Dean had explained to him earlier. Their mom had died when Sam was only 3 years old, and their dad couldn't accept her death. He started drinking, practically leaving it to Dean to raise his Sam, 7 years old as Dean was.

They kept it to themselves, not wanting any help, but after a year, someone found out their dad's drinking behavior, and sent him to rehab. Sam and Dean were placed by strange people to raise them, but Sam didn't let anyone come near him but Dean, and so, Dean was still the one raising him.

When their dad got out of rehab a few years later, Dean was 12, Sammy 8 years old. Their dad had called them, telling them he was coming home, and he brought food with him for dinner. Sam and Dean went to their old house, laying the table for dinner, putting a plate on the table for their mother, as a reminder how much she had loved him and how badly they wanted to have her sit with them again.

Then, the phone went off. "Hello, house Winchester, Dean speaking." He listened for a moment and suddenly went pale as a sheet. "Yes. Yes I understand. Yes. Thank you for calling." He hung up.

"What's wrong?" Sam asked.

"Dad's not coming home tonight, Sammy, I'm sorry," he said, his voice breaking at the end. "He never will be... He had a car accident, got overrun by a bus. He is..." he whispered, not wanting to say it.