Shooting Stars

"Cas, will you come with me please?" Dean asked.

"Dean it's like the middle of the night," Cas replied. "Even worse, it's past 3am, Dean. What did you wake me up for?" He lazily closed his eyes and almost fell back to sleep.

"Don't fall asleep, I want to take you somewhere. C'mon, get out of bed and throw on some pants and a jacket, it'll be cold." It may have been warm outside during the day, the nights were still chilly, especially when you got your ass out of bed in the middle of the night.

After a few minutes, Cas had gotten out of bed and was dressed in his sweatpants, fuzzy socks, his shoes and a warm jacket. He still didn’t know where they were going when Dean took his hand and led him outside to the balcony.

"The balcony? What are we doing here?"

"No, we go further up, Cas. You need to do this at least once in your life," Dean replied. "I'll help you, climb on that chair and push yourself up on the roof. You can do that?"

"I can, Dean. But... why?"

"You'll see." Dean smirked.

Cas nodded and climbed on the roof. They lived in an apartment on the top floor of the building. Cas wondered how many times Dean had been on the roof already.

As he sat down on the cold roof, there was a basket thrown next to him, and then he saw Dean's head coming up.

Once Dean had also climbed up the roof, he got the basket and pulled out some things Cas recognized as a plaid blanket and bread.

"Dean, are we having a picnic right now?"

Dean smiled and went on laying things on the plaid. "Call it a midnight snack."

When he was done, dean sat on the plaid and tapped the place next to him, gesturing Cas to sit down next to him. Cas lied his head on Dean's shoulder and shivered, causing Dean to pull his arm around Cas.

"You that cold? Should I bring another blanket?" Dean asked worriedly, but Cas shook his head.

"I am okay, I'm just not used to getting hauled out of my bed to sit on the roof in the cold at 3am," Cas replied, grinning.

Dean laughed, it echoed through the night, and pulled Cas closer.

They sat like that for a while before Dean stood up, bringing Cas with him. He stood dangerously close to the edge of the roof and Cas was afraid Dean would fall down, even though Dean looked so stabilized and calm.

"Look," Dean said, pointing to the city at their feet, and Cas looked.

It was beautiful.

The city was dark, darker than the most cities in America, because of the lack of street lights. There weren't many clubs close, and the clubs that were in the neighborhood closed at 2am.

As Cas looked around, he almost forgot to breathe.

So much darkness, all the people who were around them, most of them sleeping in their dark rooms, a few people being up because they just came home or worked through the night and slept during the day. And Cas was there, he had never felt more alive than in that moment.

There weren't many cars, and the few cars that actually drove around spread their red and white lights around.

As Cas looked further, he saw another city with so many lights. It made the picture nice, the darkness around them, and all the lights further away where they couldn't touch it.

It wasn't until Cas looked somewhat further and saw the sky when he froze completely.

It was a clear night and the sky was full of sparkling stars. Cas couldn’t do anything but breathe and look.