[21.] FISH-BELLY WHITE

VANESSA'S POV:

Standing up on the hill behind a stone wall, we watched the burning car be observed by a man with blonde hair and glasses and another man that looked slightly twitchy. The twitchy man walked around the burning car, phone pressed against his ear, shouting into the receiver end of the phone. From the distance that we were at we could see him constantly twirl a pen between his fingers but every time he raised his voice he would grip the pen real tight and then continue twirling it.

The sound of wheels on the uneven surface behind us made me turn around too fast. Michael grabbed my arm and nodded at me, reassuring that we were okay. He walked towards the car, still holding onto my arm. The door of the Toyota Yaris opened. I knew who it was the minute I saw the freshly manicured finger nails wrap around the top of the car door.

"I came as soon as I got your message", spoke the soft voice of Nika Volek.

Michael nodded as he ran around to the back of the car, opening the door and ushering me inside as he followed me in. I watched as Nika ran around to the passenger side as Lincoln sat down in the drivers seat, starting the car.

I remained quiet. Michaels hand was now in mine and I don't think he even noticed.

"So what's the plan now?" Nika turned around to myself and Michael in the back seats. I turned to look at Michael.

"Still Mexico." He deadpanned as he looked out of the window.

"What happens when you get to Mexico?" She asks but then moves her eyes down to Michaels hand which was locked with mine. Her face goes slightly red as she turns around in her seat, facing the windscreen. "Where will you go?"

"It's best if you don't know." He sighed. "It's best for everyone. We'll drop you off in the next town, and I'll wire you that ten thousand, like I said." From the corner of my eye, I see Michael look down at our hands and he loosens his grip. I take that as a sign to let go and I do whilst trying to play it off by fixing my hair, tying it up into a ponytail.

"...it shouldn't take more than a week or two."

As I wrap the band around my hair, I notice Linc starting to fidget. He looks up at the rear-view mirror and then to the wing mirrors. He starts to slightly panic. "Michael..." He calls out.

"...we got company." 

I frown at his statement and turn in my seat to see a rusty-silver car speeding up behind us. The car wasn't long catching up from behind as it got closer and closer.

"The hell's going on?" Linc muttered under his breath as we watched the car getting closer to us. Linc began picking up speed. It became a bit more clear to see that there were two large passengers sitting in the front seats of the vehicle from behind. Suddenly the rusty mobile came rushing at us as Michael began repeating: "Hold on!".

I could feel Michael scoot across the seats, leaning closer to me as he grabbed my leg and my arm. There was a large jolt as the vehicle from behind clashed with ours. And then again. I turned around in the seat again to get a better view at the driver and passengers face.

"Who is it!" Linc angrily shouted over Nikas cries. "Who is it?".

The rusty car drove up along the side of our car and we all turned our heads to see Bellick and Geary grinning at us through their open window. Immediately, my hand moved to the gun that was in the waistband of my pants.

Nika screams as Bellick and Geary make a sharp turn on top of us. I shut my eyes, grabbing Michaels hand that was on my leg. Images of Bellicks fist raining down on top of me played across my mind. I quickly opened my eyes, pulling the gun out of my waistband.