[13.] YOU CAN'T GET RID OF ME THAT EASILY

Vanessa's POV

***flashback***

A pale pink colored sheet hung over our heads, the light from the room shone through it making the miniature fort myself and Sara made turn an almost salmon color. She giggled behind me as we shared stories we obviously thought were hilarious. What else would a ten year old and an eight year old be giggling about? She had neatly finished putting two french braids in my hair when we heard the doorbell ring a couple of minutes later.

We sat in silence, listening for who it was, but all we heard was faint mumbling. I wasn't sure what was going on but I always had a feeling Sara did. I looked up to her to see a bored expression took over her hyper one. She looked down at me, smiling for a brief second, patting me on the shoulder.

"How about we go for a bike ride?" She asked. I remember feeling my face light up with happiness. I knew what she was up to. I grabbed my blue raincoat, putting it on and running down the stairs, passing my fathers meeting room.

I stopped. Walking back, looking into the full room. My father sat at the top of the table, I had noticed an argument had broke out and my father was in the middle of it, waving his hands back and forth until his eyes laid upon me. He stood up, making his way to me, but Sara got there before me, wrapping her arm around my shoulders and slamming the door, giving my dad the dirtiest look a ten year old could give.

She sighed, her grasp on me was tight and we were walking with speed out of the house. She stopped at the garage, opening it with a key.

"I don't know how many times we have to tell you but we're not aloud near that meeting room whether it's empty or not!" She bellowed. My head dropped as she opened the door. She marched in pulling my bike out and propping it against the wall with my helmet.

"I'm sorry, I just- you should've seen his face when he had saw me, he looked almost as if he had forgotten about us," I huffed, putting on my helmet as Sara walked out of the Garage with her helmet on and bike by her side.

A frown sat on Saras face as we began peddling. I looked back every once and a while until the house was out of view. We turned to our left, into the green forest. We continued cycling down a small path until we were in view of our special place.

In front of us stood a small 'den' at the bottom of a large evergreen tree. A large tire was used as an entrance, that we could climb through it. It was stood up by wooden pallets and rusted, old car parts.

Sara and I dropped our bikes and helmets on the ground, racing each other to the tree. As I was running towards the den I caught my foot under the root of a tree. I fell forward so fast I didn't even have enough time to scream for help. Before I knew it I was on the ground, my hands stinging with pain.

As I stand up I look down at my hands. Pieces of wood stuck into my hands, drawing blood. I wailed loudly until I felt Sara by my side. She gently took my hands in hers, examining them.

Sara fumbled at her romper, taking a safety pin off it. She looked at me before opening it and taking my hand again.

"This will hurt, Ness. Just remember it'll last for a couple of minutes and then you'll be back to normal," she smiled before tending to my casualty. I tried my best to not think about the pain but, oh god it was sore. I remember whining and crying as she prodded at the splinters but within moments she had finished.

"Thanks," I pouted. In response she messed up my hair, trying to divert me from what just happened. I turned back around spotting the den again, running towards it once more.