Chapter 66

Author's Note

This chapter was inspired by Remus's original backstory on Pottermore, as well as the beautiful fanart by Space Dementia on tumblr.

***

Remus hurried down the first staircase he came across along his way, entering a deserted hallway with dust covering the stoney floor and a bitter coldness sweeping through from the large open window.

He sat down on the first stair, rubbing his hands against his arms in a hopeless attempt to keep himself warmer. His eyes had teared up, an ache growing in his heart that he could not shake away.

He could still remember the day Dumbledore had visited him, nearly two years ago, only a few weeks after his eleventh birthday.

It was a beautiful spring evening. The weather wasn't too cold, but young Remus Lupin was enjoying the warmth of the blazing flames as he was sitting down on the carpet beside their little fireplace at home, playing a game of Gobstones all on his own. There was a tray full of crumpets right beside him on the floor, from which he occasionally picked one to eat.

Lyall Lupin was seated on an armchair in their living room, reading through that day's copy of the Daily Prophet. It had been a tiresome week at work, so he appreciated the peaceful quiet of the house.

Although the silence was bound to be broken when someone rang their doorbell.

"I'll get it," Hope called from the kitchen, who was busy washing the dishes after dinner. Putting the plate back down in the sink, she quickly wiped her hands with a tissue before getting herself to the door and opening it.

She was surprised to see that on the other side of the door an old man stood, tall and thin, with long beard and hair the color of silver. His bright blue eyes were glimmering behind his half-moon spectacles even in the darkness of the night.

Although the first thing that caught Hope's attention in the first look was his peculiar choice of clothing. The man was wearing a silvery cloak that swept to the ground, with odd-looking boots.

One look at him was enough to know that he was one of them.

"Hello," the old man started when Hope failed to speak, smiling at her softly. "You are Mrs. Lupin, I presume."

"I — y-yes..." Hope nodded, unsure of what a man like him was doing here, at this hour of the night.

"I'm Albus Dumbledore," the man introduced himself with a polite smile. Despite the strangeness of his name, Hope was sure she had heard Lyall mention him before. "I was wondering, is your son home?"

Hope suddenly went pale, her heart sinking. Lyall had tried for years to keep their son's condition a secret from the people he worked with, because of what their society thought of creatures like him.

With this wizard showing up at their door, Hope feared that Albus Dumbledore was here to take Remus away from them, but she was afraid to think what they would do to her son. She knew that her husband had given the order for execution to many dark creatures before in his lifetime. Was this why this man had come here tonight?

Hope didn't answer him. She couldn't let anyone take away her son. Not now. Not ever.

So with her eyes fixed on him fearfully and without moving from the doorway, Hope called out, "Lyall!"

Moments later, her husband showed up right behind her, his eyes widening the moment he laid eyes on the old man before them.

"Dumbledore?" Lyall breathed out in surprise.