Chapter 15

Jenna was enjoying herself sitting with Remus and Peter over breakfast, even though both of those boys were very unlike her and James; for one, Peter barely spoke because he was still shy around her, and Remus seemed to be anything but a troublemaker, and was rather a good boy.

Although just then Jenna jumped a little on her seat when someone suddenly clapped a hand over her shoulder. Turning around, she saw that it was James, accompanied by Sirius Black as they sat down next to her.

James's jet-black hair was messy as always. Sirius's hair was black too, but it was an obvious fact that his hair stood more elegantly than James's could ever do, and it was that way effortlessly.

While the two boys started on with their breakfast, Jenna noticed that Sirius looked a little more cheerful than last night after sorting, although she sensed that he still wasn't as playful as he was the previous day on the train.

"Merlin, I'm starving!" James said the moment he sat down and looked around at the many dishes of food around him before staring to put a little bit of everything on his plate.

Peter was still eating, meanwhile Remus had pushed his plate aside and had now taken out his new Defense Against the Dark Arts book, reading the first chapter in advance.

Curiously, Jenna threw a quick glance at Sirius's direction, but she was surprised to see how elegantly he was holding his fork, and eating his breakfast rather gracefully. It was soon made clear to her that he probably came from a high profile Wizarding family.

Mrs. Potter had tried on many occasions to teach James and Jenna the use of different forks and knives, but neither of them cared much, and whenever they got bored, the spoons and forks would start flying around the moment their mother left the kitchen. The two would have a great laugh about it until Mrs. Potter came back, trying to immobilize the floating spoons with her wand.

"Why do you even bother reading right now? The classes haven't even started yet!" Sirius suddenly said, frowning at Remus's direction, as if he couldn't understand him in the slightest.

James smirked at that as he looked up at Remus as well. "No one likes a smarty pants, you know."

"Well, that's because not everyone has a good taste," Remus said back wittily, a hint of a smile across his shadowy and tired face.

A little surprised, Sirius and James glanced sideways at each other before looking back at Remus with their grins widening, impressed at the boy's quick and yet quiet wit.

Although just then they were snapped out of their thoughts when Professor McGonagall moved forward, handing them their class schedules.

"Potions first thing in the morning," James said with a little grimace after reading all the columns. "I'd have much rather Charms or Defense Against the Dark Arts or at least Transfigurations!"

"Why don't you like Potions? Isn't your father supposed to be a celebrated Potioneer or something?" Sirius asked James, raising a brow.

"Okay, first of all, his main job is an Auror now," James said proudly, "and second, just because my parents like something, doesn't mean that I should go down the same path as them."

Sirius scoffed, looking away bitterly. "My dear mother begs to differ," he mumbled under his breath.

"Hang on," Remus started, glancing up from his book again look at James, "your father is the famous Potter? The inventor of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion? I've read about it. It's supposed to be really great."

"Yeah," James and Jenna said proudly.

"Cool!" Peter suddenly said, looking up at the twins with admiration.

After some while, all the students eventually got to their feet to get to their first class. The first year Gryffindors had Potions for first period with Slytherins, which was held in the dungeons.

"You go on without me," Jenna told her brother as they walked out of the Great Hall and toward the entrance hall. "My bag and books are all up in the dorm. I'll have to go and get them first. Save me a seat."

"Okay." James shrugged casually, and so Jenna departed with them, running up the marble staircase to get up to the Gryffindor common room for her stuff.

Thankfully this time it didn't take her too long to find her way to the portrait of the Fat Lady, and soon she fetched her equipments from her dormitory and darted down the castle again, having to ask a few older students for directions to the dungeons. But at last, she finally managed to find her way and got herself to the Potions classroom.

When Jenna entered the class, she found the room dark and shadowy, with large shelves all around it which were filled with different vials and glasses of strange and curious potions.

She scanned the classroom for her brother, until she found James sitting behind the furthest back table. Although unlike his promise to her that he would save her a seat, Jenna found Sirius sitting on the chair next to her brother.

Growing slightly irritated, Jenna paced toward Sirius and folded her arms when she reached him, clearing her throat to get his attention.

Sirius turned to look at her, an amused grin playing at the edge of his lips. "How may I help you?"

"That's my seat," Jenna said firmly.

"Oh, is it?" Sirius gasped mockingly, but then bent around to look over at the chair, as if looking for something. "I'm sorry, but I don't see your name on it."

Jenna turned to face her brother sharply, as if expecting him to tell Sirius off. But James was only watching the two fight over the seat next to him, enjoying every bit of attention that he could get.

But just then, the door to the classroom opened and a middle-aged man with a round belly walked into the room. He was Professor Slughorn, their Potions master.

"Settle down, everyone. Settle down," he said as he walked up to the front of the room, the sound of chattering dying down.

Jenna threw one last glare at Sirius's direction — who only smirked back at her — and then turned away to find herself a seat among the Gryffindors. But the only empty chair that she could find was next to the blonde girl from her dormitory, whom Jenna had a fight with the previous night.

  Lily Evans and Alice Fortescue were sitting around that same large table as well. So sighing to herself, Jenna went forward to take the empty seat next to the blonde girl.

This is going to be a long year, Jenna thought to herself as she sat down.