Chapter 89

She hated Sirius Black.

     That was all that Jenna could think about that night as she changed into her pajamas and retrieved to her bed, with the Quest to The Impossible Magic book hidden underneath her pillow.

     Ever since last year, when Sirius had taken her first kiss and only a week after had been seen kissing another girl, Jenna had sworn to herself that she was done with him.

But tonight, watching him in the Great Hall asking Mary Macdonald out on a date to Hogsmeade, she couldn't ignore the sharp pain in her heart.

     Trying to convince herself that it wasn't jealousy nor hurt, Jenna decided that it was merely the feeling of hatred she had toward Sirius Black. That was all.

     "Are you okay, Jen?" Jenna's head snapped up from where she was sitting on her bed, looking back at Alice from across the room.

     Jenna tried to quickly retrieve herself, nodding. "Why wouldn't I be?"

     "Well... you know... with what happened in the Great Hall," Alice said in a careful tone, afraid that her words would hurt Jenna in some way.

"Like I said," Jenna shrugged again obliviously, "why would I care? I don't care what that stupid git does or who he decides to snog."

"I might've believed that you didn't care if you hadn't just called Black a 'stupid git'," Marlene said wittily, moving her blankets and getting in bed.

Marlene then looked over at Lily, who was taking one last look at her Transfiguration notes.

"You're awfully quiet for someone who always has an opinion." Marlene grinned at her teasingly, but Lily refused to look up at her.

"I'm just trying to memorize these," Lily replied uninterestedly, but Jenna could tell that she did, in fact, have her opinion on the matter.

Jenna sighed. "Go on, Lil. Out with it. I know there's something you want to say."

"Nothing other than the fact that those two boys are too immature for their own good," Lily said as she packed her notes and neatly placed the parchments in between her book's pages.

"Are you still mad at what happened today?" Jenna asked, watching Lily as she placed her books in her backpack and got into her bed as well as the other girls.

Jenna was afraid of bringing up this conversation, but she knew it was inevitable and that they had to talk about it at some point; about the fact that only a few hours ago James had asked Lily out on a date to Hogsmeade, in the rudest way imaginable.

      Jenna wasn't sure how she felt about her brother liking her best friend, and her best friend loathing her brother beyond words could express. But she knew exactly how Lily felt about the situation.

"It did catch me off guard, I'm not gonna lie," said Lily. "I mean, what was he even thinking? He's a smart boy; he should've known that there was no way in hell that I would've agreed to go on a date with him, after all that he's done."

"Oooh, you just called him smart." Marlene wiggled her eyebrows at Lily, who sent her a sharp glare quickly afterward. Marlene cleared her throat. "Sorry."

Lily sighed, shaking her head before turning to look over at Jenna. "Forget about my situation with Potter. Listen... I know you say you don't care about Black asking Mary Macdonald out, but —"

"He can ask out whoever the hell he wants," Jenna said grudgingly, dropping her head down on her pillow, staring up at the ceiling. "He's not my boyfriend. I don't have the right to feel jealous or any other sort of feeling whatsoever. He's not even my friend. Why should I care?"

"All I'm saying is that he's not worth getting upset over," Lily said gently. "But if you do have something on your mind, don't bottle it up. We're here to talk, you know that, right? We're best friends."

"I know. Thanks," Jenna murmured, sending her a little smile, but she said nothing else. So, one by one, the girls turned the lamps on their nightstands off before eleven and went to sleep.

All of them, except for one.

Jenna waited for all her friends to fall asleep before she grabbed her wand and the Quest to The Impossible Magic book from under her pillow, sat up on her bed, and drew the blankets over her.

"Lumos," she muttered, a small light appearing from the tip of her wand, allowing her to see the pages of the book.

Not long ago, James and his friends had asked Jenna to borrow this book from Professor McGonagall's personal library. For some reason, they couldn't ask the professor themselves and so they blackmailed Jenna into getting it, without even telling her why they even needed it.

Although, after getting the book from Professor McGonagall and flipping through its pages, Jenna found the things written in there far too interesting to give it up so quickly. The book explained all she needed to know about Metamorphmagi and how she could expand her powers.

So, Jenna decided that she would lie to James and say that Professor McGonagall needed the book herself; this way Jenna could keep reading the book for another week before having to give it to her brother.

It was twenty minutes before midnight and Jenna had just reached the part of the book that explained about full-body transformation that she suddenly heard a weird noise.

"Nox," Jenna quickly whispered, the light of her wand going out abruptly. She briskly pulled the blanket off her head and looked around.

There was no one there. Nothing suspicious.

Jenna tried to pick up her book again, but just then she saw something moving outside their dormitory window.

     "What the..." Jenna muttered to herself, frowning, placing her book back under the pillow.

     Is that an owl? She thought to herself before getting up and tiptoeing toward the window. The night was too dark to see through it.

The closer she got to it, the more she realized that it wasn't an owl. It couldn't be. The figure behind the window was too big for a bird.

Gulping nervously, Jenna raised her hand and reached for the window's handle, opening it. But her eyes widened and she yelled out when she saw someone sitting behind it.

"Aaaargh!"

"AAAARGH!" The person yelled back in shock.