Chapter 20

"Thank you, I'll be sure to check the area more often," Fern said, looking at a clipboard that was handed to her. It held a map that marked how the hunters entered the area.

"We've closed it up and are making sure to place more signs around. My men will be around checking for any more breaks in the border for the next couple of days. I want to be sure that this doesn't happen again." Fury explained, resting another paper onto the clipboard. "A message from Stark."

Fern glanced over the paper before handing it back to Fury. "Do whatever; Tony's taken a quick interest in this place."

"Does that worry you? You know how Stark can be; I've warned you before." Fury sighed.

"No, and I'm sure that Tony knows that if he does anything to piss me off, the Thunderbird will be after him," Fern smirked, handing the clipboard to Fury and glancing over her shoulder at Clint and Natasha talking amongst themselves. "Is there anything I should be worried about with the Avengers being here? My history with organizations isn't exactly great. Do I need to worry at all? Because I have taken a liking to them."

"No, I would have pulled them out of here the second Barton told me what happened. It sounds like you handled Thor on your own. You've taken a liking to Barnes, I've heard as well." Fury commented. "I know you can handle yourself and have good judgment. You've made it this long. This is all on you; I'm only here to handle this kind of shit. Your world, your rules."

Fern snorted, "Thunderbird's world, its rules. I just enforce them. I'll be going to New York with the team when they leave. Tony invited me to his party. If your men are still going to be around at that time, make sure I know. I'll tell the Thunderbird not to kill them."

"Got it. I'll be taking my leave now. Good seeing you again, Fern." Fury got into his SUV, giving Fern a wave before pulling away from the house, followed by half a dozen other SUVs.

"Looks like the two of you had an interesting conversation," Clint noted as Fern walked over to join him and Natasha. "Anything that we need to worry about?"

"Some of Fury's men are going to be checking the border for the next couple of days. Nothing we need to worry about. Stark wants to put in cameras around the area in case this happens again. I told Fury to do it, make Tony happy, and then I don't have to hear about it later." Fern rolled her eyes as the trio walked into the house, meeting Peter and Wanda in the kitchen.

"Sounds like Tony is trying to take my role as your adoptive father," Clint grunted.

"He's getting pretty close to it too. Making a suit, made the A.I. in the house, work again, putting cameras everywhere to ensure the forest is safe. I think he's doing a pretty good job." Fern taunted, shoving lightly at Clint's shoulder. "You know the role belongs to you; he's the cool uncle that everyone is a little freaked out by but loves."

"It's getting late, and we've had a long day," Natasha said, looking between Wanda and Fern, winking at both of them.

"I'm beat if you ask me. Something about being in this environment just makes me so tired," Wanda yawned, stretching out her arms.

"Yeah, yeah, get out of here and do your girl talk. I gotta call Laura and the kids anyway." Clint waved to the trio as he walked out of the kitchen and to his room.

"I promised to call Aunt May before it got too late." Peter smiled, following Clint down the hallway to his room.

Wanda and Natasha grinned, both grabbing Fern's hands and making their way down the hall and into Fern's room, where they jumped onto the bed. "Okay, spill, what happened after you called us the other day?" Natasha asked, grabbing one of Fern's pillows to hug her chest.