Chapter 34

"Doll," Bucky sighed as she moved away from him. Fern removed the crown from her head as she walked into the bathroom and placed it on the counter. Bucky walked into the bathroom and wrapped his arms around her waist, nuzzling his face in her neck.

"While you're there, unzip me, please," Fern turned her head to whisper to him. "Unless you'd like for me to stay in this dress all night," Fern smirked as Bucky's hands moved from her waist to her back and slowly moved the zipper of her dress. Fern removed jewelry and makeup as Bucky took his time with the zipper.

"Doll," Bucky's whisper came out almost as a warning. He wasn't trying to push Fern; he still wanted to take everything slow, no matter how badly he wanted to make sure she knew how much he loved her.

"I know," Fern sighed, taking a step away from Bucky and turning to him. "I'm going to change. Go wait in bed." She pushed at his chest lightly as she walked into the closest, barely pushing the door closed behind her. Fern slid out of the dress, laying it on the bench, not having the energy to deal with it tonight. Instead, she found a new pair of pajamas to slide into; she could see Bucky still standing in the bathroom, leaning against the counter through the mirror.

Fern gave a quick turn as she pulled the shirt over her head, watching Bucky dart away. She giggled, making her way into the bedroom where Bucky sat on the edge of the bed, playing with his thumbs. "I don't think that suit is going to be comfy to sleep in," Fern pushed Bucky's hands away from his lap, sitting on it and swinging her arms around his shoulders and neck.

"I, uh–" Bucky swallowed hard as his hands gripped Fern's hips to hold her on his lap. "Fern."

"James," She giggled, playing with the hair at the nape of his neck. "You and I both know that nothing is going to happen anytime soon. But I don't see why you can't stay the night with me. You've slept on the couch, and I know you slept on the floor of my room after I had that nightmare. So what is sharing a bed going to hurt?"

Bucky took a deep breath looking into her deep hazel eyes, "Okay, you caught me. I sleep better with you around, and it helps me know that you're okay." He sighed, removing her right hand from his neck and placing a kiss on the palm. "I'm also not sure if I would be able to leave you alone after seeing you in that. Please never let Natasha and Wanda shop for you again. I don't know if I can handle it." Bucky looked up and down, using all of his strength to keep himself from running hands along her body.

Fern laughed, "I can't promise that. I think they liked having a doll a bit too much." She smiled, running her hand through his hair, still trying to get used to it being short. She had never seen him with short hair; even when they met all those years ago, her soldier always had long hair. So this was a nice change. "I quite like what they picked out. And there's plenty more."

"Of course there is," Bucky groaned, falling back on the bed, Fern squeaking as he took her with him. "The three of you are trying to kill me, aren't you? It's some little plan that none of you have spoken about, but it has been established."

Fern giggled, moving so she was straddling Bucky, earning another groan from the man. "No, we aren't. I think they're trying to push this along a little faster."

Bucky sat up and rested on his elbows, glaring up at the woman sitting on him. Flaring his nostrils, he swiftly took hold of her waist and flipped them around, grasping Fern's lips with his own for a much longer kiss than their first one. Bucky pulled away with a sigh resting their foreheads together. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have–"

Fern laughed, stopping his unneeded apology. "Bucky, why are you apologizing to me?" She grabbed his face and pushed his head away from hers to see him better.

"Because I want to show how much I love you. But I can't push you like that. We're just getting started; I don't want to fuck up and end up hurting you," Bucky explained, tears fighting to drop from his eyes. "I can't lose you." He sat to the side of her on the edge of the bed, holding his head in his hands.

"You are never going to lose me, James," Fern sat up and took his hands, knowing that he would start to pull at his hair if she didn't stop him. She was beginning to think the haircut had far more benefits than she initially thought. "Listen to me; you mean so much to me, far more than I can ever truly explain. But I do want you to know that I love you too. I love you so much, James Barnes."

"Really?" Bucky looked up at her, tears dotting his cheeks.

"Of course I do," Fern smiled, whipping away his tears. "Now get out of that damn suit and come cuddle with me." She pushed him off of the bed, laughing as he didn't catch himself, landing on the floor with a loud thud. Fern opened the covers and crawled into the bed, smiling as she watched him race to remove the expensive suit.

Bucky was left in his boxer briefs and white undershirt; he jumped into the bed, wrapping his arms around her waist. "I love you, Fern Harver." Bucky pressed a kiss to the side of her neck as he pulled her as close as possible.