Chapter 39

Fern felt like her body was on fire and utterly numb simultaneously; she didn't know what was happening or where she was. All she knew was that something was wrong. She could feel a hand gripping her own and hear muffled voices talking around her, but there was no answer as to what was going on.

"Fern."

She knew the voice, but she couldn't put a face to it. It seemed too much like a dream.

"Fern, you must wake up."

"Thunder."

"Fern, they've come back."

"Who, Thunder? Whose come back?"

"The bad people. They've come back for us, and they're going to hurt my baby. Fern, you must help us."

Fern gasped, shooting up into a sitting position, startling the people around her. "Fern," She pushed everyone away from her and ripped the needles from her arms. "Fern, you need to calm down." Fern shoved Tony aside and stood to her feet as arms wrapped around her waist.

"Unhand me before I make you," Fern growled.

"No, you need to calm down and tell us what the fuck is going on." Bucky snapped; he wasn't going to let her go that easily. Something was wrong, and he knew it; there was no way in hell he was going to be letting her go.

"Bucky, let me go. I will not ask you again." Fern snapped, trying to pry his arms away from her.

Bucky growled into her ear before flipping Fern around and slamming her into the wall, "And I will not ask you again, what the fucking is going on, Fern." Bucky could see the fear in her eyes, but something told him that she wasn't going to be easily reasoned with.

"I need to go home. The Thunderbird is in trouble." Fern hissed, trying to push the super-soldier off of her.

"There's been no activity on the–" Tony was cut off by Fern letting out a blood-curdling scream. She clutched at her stomach, falling into Bucky's arms as he released her. "Ready the jet. We leave in five."

"We don't have time for that." Fern sobbed. "They're going to kill them; we have to stop them."

"Nat, go get Thor and Loki; maybe they can get us there faster." Steve shared a look with everyone as they watched Fern cry and scream in pain while Bucky tried his best to hold her.

"It hurts so much, Buck," Fern cried into his chest. Bucky hummed as tears brimmed his eyes, and he rocked them, wishing that he could take her pain.

"Lady Fern," Thor was shocked to see the girl on the ground in such agony; the last time he saw her like this, he was in a blind rage. "Brother, you must take us to her home." He turned to Loki, who stood by the door. Loki has only known the girl for a day, and he was horrified to see the bright, happy, and very feisty girl in such pain.

"I can only teleport a handful of people. Any more than four, including myself, will drain most of my power. I won't be able to get everyone else there as well," Loki sighed, knowing that he couldn't risk using all of his power if he was going to be needed to fight as well.

"Take us then; as long as Fern and I get there, everyone else can take the jet. We don't have time to wait any longer," Bucky looked at Loki with pleading eyes, knowing that if Fern was in this much pain, they were running out of time. A low growl came from behind Loki, and Bucky looked into Ryker's eyes, knowing that the wolf was ready to kill. "The wolf too, or he might kill someone he isn't supposed to."

"We'll get as much help as we can and meet you there as soon as possible." Steve rested his hand on Bucky's shoulder.

"I'll be right behind you," Thor noted.

"Vision and I will be close behind as well." Wanda looked at her friend on the floor, having a hard time holding back her powers as the anger inside of her built.

Bucky nodded to everyone and looked at Loki as the God of Mischief walked over and rested a hand on his shoulder. Bucky held onto Fern as tightly as he could and grabbed Ryker's scruff with his other hand as he felt himself begin to lift into the air, and the next second he was back on the ground. "Thor wasn't lying about the Thunderbird." Loki's voice broke Bucky from his slight daze as he looked into the sky seeing the Thunderbird's shadow fly through the dark clouded sky.

"After all of this, you'd think people would believe us," Fern coughed, pushing herself out of Bucky's arm, staggering to her feet. "I'm going to the Thunderbirds nest, find whoever the fuck is hurting my Thunderbird, and kill them."

Bucky and Loki couldn't reply as Fern used her powers to lift herself into the air and make her way up the mountain. "You heard the girl," Bucky grabbed the pistol from his waist, looking at the wolf at his side. "Ryker, lead the way."

"Oh, I'm going to have fun with this," Loki devilishly grinned, spinning his daggers in his hands.