Chapter 32

The trio could hear the music playing as the elevator stopped; Fern took a deep breath as the doors opened. Wanda and Natasha walked out first, leaving her to walk alone. She looked at the floor as she walked out of the elevator, getting the courage to look up when Ryker whined at her.

Fern bit the inside of her cheek as she looked up, seeing the whole party had stopped and was looking at her. She wasn't sure if it was the wild animals that accompanied her or if it was how she looked; both were a possibility as well. Frozen, Fern hadn't realized; Bucky walked up to her and tried to speak with her.

"Sorry, what was that? I'm a little overwhelmed," Fern weakly smiled at him. Her smile changed as she noticed that he didn't look the same as when she left him this morning. "You cut your hair."

"I did; it's been a long time since it was this short. I missed it, to be honest." Bucky smiled. He looked her over, having to constantly double-take as he did. Bucky couldn't believe that it was Fern standing in front of him. "Now, you look absolutely stunning. What in the world did Nat and Wanda do to you? I mean, wow, I might have to fight someone tonight." Bucky bit his lip, taking her hands in his. No wonder he was falling in love with her.

"I thought that it was about time for a change. I'm glad you like it," Fern ran her thumb over Bucky's knuckles, happy that he was calming her down. "Please don't fight anyone. Ryker can bite someone if he has to, but please don't fight anyone." She giggled.

"I'll try not to. Come on, I want to show everyone that I've got the best-looking dame in the world," Bucky beamed, wrapping his arm around her waist and walking them further into the party. They joined Steve and Sam at a pool table, the pair stopping their game to greet them.

"Don't you look beautiful? Bucky, you're one lucky man." Steve grinned, pulling Fern into the hug.

"You want to fight for her? I'm willing to fight you for her," Sam smirked at Bucky; Fern laughed, pulling the man into a hug.

"No fighting," Fern couldn't help but smile. "So, you think it all looks okay?"

"Of course," Steve nodded. "You're the most beautiful Queen in this room."

"Oh no," Fern sighed.

"You did not mention that she was a Queen, White Wolf." T'Challa's voice filled Fern's ears, and her face began to burn with how embarrassed she felt.

"It's a secret, trying to keep that along with everything else on the down-low," Sam chuckled.

"I hate all three of you." Fern groaned, turning to T'Challa and a girl she guessed to be Shuri standing next to him. "I'm nothing close to a queen; this was a gift from, well, you know. But, unfortunately, these three knuckleheads insist that I look like a queen with it on."

"But, you're my queen," Bucky pouted. Fern glared at him briefly before smiling.

"Well, they are not wrong. You look wonderful; my sister could learn a thing or two from you about looking like royalty." T'Challa laughed.

"I hate you, the meanest older brother in the world. I am Shuri; Sergeant Barnes has told me much about you, but not that you were this beautiful." Shuri smiles, holding her hand out to Fern.

"Fern, it's nice to meet you. I've been informed that you're a super-genius, which is impressive for a princess." Fern shook Shuri's hand.

"Something like that. I run our entire science division and make all of our technology." Shuri smirked. "So you could say that I'm more important than my brother."

"I'll say."

"There you are; I have been looking everywhere for you," Tony's voice soon filled Fern's ears; she turned to him with a smile. "Well, my money went to good use, look at you!" He pulled her into a hug before stepping back to look at her again.

"Thank you, Tony." Fern felt so happy; she couldn't believe how comfortable she felt.

"I'm not going to keep you for too long; there are plenty of people for you to amaze. I mean, you did make the room go quiet when you walked in, so they're already impressed." Tony smirked, hugging her once more.

"Come on, doll, Tony's right." Bucky wrapped his arm back around her waist and whisked her away, Fern waving behind her. "You should have run with it; T'Challa believed it."

"Oh my lord Bucky, you can't go around telling people that. I'm not a queen; people will seriously believe that." Fern rolled her eyes as they found Clint, Wanda, and Vision.

"There's my best friend!" Wanda exclaimed, pulling Fern into a hug.

"Go to your room; you can not be out in public like this. Barnes, give her your coat, cover her up," Clint groaned with a smile. He grabbed Fern in a firm hug, not wanting to let her go. "You're all grown up. I remember when you were a little tike; here you are, a grown-ass woman."

"Clint," Fern sniffed, feeling tears begin to well in her eyes. "You'll always be my dad; you know that, right? You're the closest thing I've had to one in a long time. So if you want, I'll always be your little girl."

"Damn straight; I'll have to make sure I get a picture of you for Laura; she's going to be so mad she missed this." Clint smiled, pressing a kiss to Fern's cheek.

"Later, the dance floor is calling our names," Bucky smirked, pulling Fern off to the dance floor.

"Bucky," Fern whispered as he pulled her into the middle of the floor; all eyes were on them. Fern felt her face grow hot again, and she buried it in Bucky's shoulder.

"Hey, look at me," Bucky whispered, touching the side of her chin with his fingertips. Fern slowly lifted her head to look at him, nerves vanishing when she looked into his blue eyes. "There's those pretty eyes or yours. Don't look at anyone else, don't worry about anyone else. It's just you and me out here."

"But everyone is staring at us, and we–" Fern hadn't noticed that her animal friends had left her. Glancing to her left, she saw Ryker, Elder, and Buzz sitting with Peter as everyone watched her and Bucky. "We are alone indeed." She bit her lip, looking back into Bucky's eyes.

"Just you and me. No one else." Bucky pressed a kiss to her forehead before resting them together.

"As long as I'm with you, I'm okay with that," Fern smiled, closing her eyes. Even if everyone at the event was watching them, it did feel like it was just the two of them. Fern could spend forever as just the two of them.