Chapter 8

Nick's POV: 

It's Kiddo's first day of school and we still don't know her name. 

I have no idea how that's going to work. 

She has a test first thing this morning to figure out what grade to place her in cause we don't even know how old she is. 

I can't believe the state is making me send her to school. 

She's still not fully healed. 

I mean she still has a black eye. 

What will the other students think?

What if something happens? 

You know what It'll be fine. 

I walk her into the office and send the boys into class. 

"Ok Mr. Martin and Ms. Finch please come with me." The principal walked us into her office. 

"Ok so first I think we should get the test over with and then I think talking about an accommodation plan would be best. How does that sound?" 

"That sounds great." 

"Ok, Ms. Finch why don't you come with me." 

She looked at me for permission. 

"It's ok." 

I was only able  to put her last name down for school so I guess that's what people will call her for now. 

About an hour later they came back. 

"The test has been graded and I have to say only three of the answers were wrong in the whole test. I've only seen a handful of students do so well. One section is college level." 

"For real? Kiddo you're so smart where did you learn all of that." 

She looked like she was on the verge of tears. 

What could be wrong? 

She did so well on that test. 

"Can I take her out into the hall for a minute?" 

"Uh yes, I'll call in the special education person. Take your time." 

"Ok come on kiddo." 

Once we got into the hall she had a few tears rolling down her cheeks. 

"What's wrong kiddo?" 

She started to shake a little bit.

She was looking anywhere, but at me.

"Can you type it out for me please?" 

She nodded. 

I opened the notes app and handed her the phone. 

Are you going to punish me because I failed the quiz? 

She handed me back the phone and when I read it man did my heart break. 

"Oh kiddo...You did so well on that quiz. Why would I punish you for getting just a few wrong?" 

I handed her back the phone. 

That's what he did when I got an answer wrong. 

"How would he punish you?" 

I tried handing her back the phone, but it was clear she wasn't going to respond. 

I just knelt down so I was more on her level.

"Kiddo I want to be really clear with you on something. I will never ever hurt you. Neither will the boys at the house. You don't get punished like that anymore. Ok?" 

She didn't respond. 

"Ok are you ready to go back in?" 

She gave a little nod. 

We walked back in and there was another woman in there now. 

We took our seats again. 

"So we have discusses it and we think Ms. Finch should be put into 11th grade." 

"What? She's like 13 max." I said. 

"She's advanced enough to be a senior or even in college. We'd be doing her an injustice to put her in anything lower." 

"Ok what about her accommodations?" 

"Yes well I think we should discuss the elephant in the room. She doesn't speak and or communicate in anyway." 

"She'll nod or shake her head when she feels comfortable with someone." 

"We can talk with her teachers so she won't have to introduce herself since we don't know her name. We can also make it where she won't have to speak in class or do presentations. We can make it so she has more flexibility with attendance and assignment due dates."

"That all sounds great, but I'd also like to have either one of the boys in each of her classes or Garren, Caleb, Ezra, Sage, Iris or Jade in her classes. She should also be able to have priority seating so she can have her back to the wall without people behind her."  

"Ok we can work that out." 

"I'd also like reduced or shortened assignments." 

She looked at me when I said that. 

"I will write that in." 

The school usually does what I ask for the kids cause I'll act like a real Karen when it comes to my kids. 

"You guys can sit in the waiting area while we write up her schedule." 

Her leg was bouncing again. 

"It's gonna be ok kiddo. I'll be here to pick you up in no time."

She held out her pinky for a pinky promise. 

This is the first time she's volunteered for physical contact. 

She usually treats touch like poison. 

I locked my pinky with hers. 

"I promise." 

"Ok I have your schedule. I can show her to the first class if that'd be helpful." 

"That'd be great." 

"Ok Kiddo have fun and it'll be ok. It's just a few hours." 

She nodded.