Chapter 34

Nick's POV: 

I was going through the mail when something caught my eye amongst the junk. 

It was a number of summons to testify in the court case against Maisy's father. 

The boys and I have to testify about him trying to kill Maisy and Maisy has to testify about that and all of the abuse. 

I'll reach out to my lawyer to see if there's anything that she can support with. 

I think there will be a crown prosecutor They'll want to talk to Maisy and the boys. 

I need to protect my kids. 

I took out my phone and dialed Andrea the kids social worker. 

"Hey It's Nick Martin. I need to talk to you about adopting the kids." 

"Hello, um...All of them?" 

"Yes. I can't imagine my life without them and I need have guardianship of all of them." 

"I'll bring the paperwork tomorrow and we can start the process." 

"Great. Have you been made aware the kids and I are being made to testify against Maisy's father." 

"Yes I was going to call you tomorrow. I will be present in court with you, we'll meet with the police and the prosecutor and go over things, the police have questions for their reports. I held them off as long as I could." 

"Ok can I be there when the kids are getting questioned?" I'm surprised she was able to hold them off for months. 

"Yes of course." 

I heard Jade's car pulling up. 

"I have to go talk to the kids about this." 

"Ok I'm sorry this is happening. Good luck let me know if you need support." 

"Thank you." 

"Oh my gosh your hair is so cute." I said when Maisy walked in with pink hair.

"Thank you." 

"Did you have fun Bug?" Ace asked. 

"I did. That's the most time I've spent with girls since Mom." 

"That's awesome." 

"I hate to dampen the mood, but we need to have a family meeting." 

"What's going on?" Ace asked. 

"We all have to testify against Maisy's father." 

"What? Why us?" Arlo asked. 

"Because of what we saw when we found her." I said. 

Everyone looked on edge. 

Maisy looked like she was going to freak or go armadillo mode any second. 

"Am I going to have to see him?" 

"He will be there, but he won't be able to get to you." 

"Nick I'm scared." She said. 

"I'll be there the whole time. Nothing bad is going to happen ok? You don't even have to look at him." 

"Do I have to?" 

"Unfortunately I don't have a choice in this matter." 

"What will they ask about?" She asked. 

"They're gonna ask really hard questions. They'll ask about all the things he did to you." 

She just melted. 

She went into armadillo mode. 

Fuck. 

"Let's get you cozy ok? I'm about to touch your back. Now I'm about to pick you up. We'll go to your room and get cozy." Zero said. 

They're all so great with her. 

"It's against the rules...I can't...It's against the rules...I'll be dead like Mom..." She just kept muttering. 

She hasn't brought up the rules she used to have in awhile. 

Progress isn't linear. 

I have to remember that. 

I wish I told them tomorrow. 

I shouldn't have ruined the day she had with Jade and Iris..

Zero's POV: 

I carried her upstairs and set her on the bed.

"Ok fuzzy socks or hospital socks?" 

She held up two fingers. 

"Hospital socks it is." 

I handed them to her. 

"Should I put them on?" 

She nodded. 

I replaced her socks. 

"The-the thing...Zero it's not right..I can't I ca-please.." 

"Is the seam bugging you?" 

She nodded. 

I adjusted the seam and she calmed down a bit. 

"I could have been a happy kid...I should have been a happy kid..."