Chapter 4

"You want to let her do what, Data?" Captain Jean-Luc Picard asked the android.

"Allow her to see the pod," Data said, coming straight to the point. "I believe that whatever has happened to Ms. Carter was catastrophic, she has blocked out important details from her mind. If she sees the pod, memories could return."

"Or it could make her mental condition worse," Jean-Luc said, leaning back in his chair. "I don't know, Data. What does Joelle think about this?"

"She was the one who asked to see the pod, Captain," Data said, his arms behind his back out of respect for his captain.

Data had brought Joelle back to her quarters, observing that it would be best if he spoke to the captain about her seeing the pod. He informed her that he may say no.

"Captain, if I may," Deanna spoke up. "I am in agreement with Data. I feel as though she needs this closer to feel better. There is a 50/50 chance she will gain memories or feel like she hasn't accomplished anything. I believe we owe it to her."

Jean-Luc thought for a moment. They were right, perhaps she needed to see the pod, or even touch it, to gain closure.

"Very well. Have her brought down to the cargo hold in fifteen minutes. Data, prepare her for the worst," the captain instructed.

"In all due respect, captain," Data said. "I believe we should think positive for Ms. Carter's sake."

Jean-Luc nodded and waved everyone off. He sat there and thought for a second before leaving for the cargo hold.

Joelle was pacing back and forth nervously waiting for Date to bring her either good news or bad news. She felt something deep within her that this was a good idea.

"Ms. Carter," Data said after asking to enter. "The captain has requested you in the cargo hold in fifteen minutes."

"He said yes?" she asked, excitement in her voice.

When Data nodded she wrapped her arms around his neck unknowingly. She pulled away ever so slightly, her arms still around his neck.

"Thank you, Data," she said softly, her eyes roaming his face. "This means a lot."

"Of course," Data said. "Just be prepared for no answers... this is a 50/50 chance you may or may not get the answers you are seeking."

"I'll be alright," Joelle said, lowering herself from her tiptoes, her arms still around his neck.

Data roamed her face, his eyes landing on her lips and back to her eyes. "I will be there every step of the way, if you need me."

"Shall we get going?" Joelle asked, breaking off the embrace.

Data tilted his head in confusion as her face was kissed with a pink color. No matter how many times he had humans figured out, something else happened that caused him confusion. Perhaps he could ask Commander Riker his opinion.

"Yes," Data said, leading the way.

The trek to the cargo hold in the elevator was awkward. Joelle didn't know what to feel after her and Data's moment in her quarters. Was it possible for a human to have feelings for an android? Was it possible for the android to return those feelings? Joelle shook her head, trying to get the thought out of her mind. She didn't want to get attached just in case she would be able to return home. Joelle was still trying to mentally prepare for the worst.

When they made it to the cargo hold, Joelle could feel her heartbeat start to race. She ended up grabbing Data's hand as they made their way to where the pod was sitting, tied up so it would move around. Captain Picard, Riker and Deanna were waiting for them.