Chapter 8

Joelle had another strong episode of pains starting from her head and running through her entire body. Dr. Crusher was working frantically to figure out a way to remove the parasite and to get her stable enough to run tests. Data stood by watching, not knowing what to do to help. 

    “Dr. Crusher, perhaps you could,” Data began. 

    “Data, why don’t you return to the bridge and figure out another way to remove this thing from Joelle with Captain Picard,” Dr. Crusher said, in an irritated manner. 

    Data looked at Joelle for approval. Once she nodded her agreement with the doctor, Data rushed to the bridge. Dr. Crusher was finally able to concentrate easier without Data breathing down her neck. 

    “He means well,” Joelle said. “He’s just worried.”

    Dr. Crusher smiled. “I know. I’ve never seen him like this before, worried about someone so much like he worries about you. It’s quite shocking.” 

    Joelle smiled. “I’m flattered to know that I’ve triggered something inside of him to make him feel this new emotion. But I’m also worried. What if I don’t make it…?”

    “Don’t think like that,” Dr. Crusher said, sternly. “You will make it and we will get this thing out of you. Then we will figure out how to get you home.”

    Joelle grew quiet with thought. She was contemplating what she had thought of earlier; what if she didn’t want to return home? 

    “Dr. Crusher, what if I don’t want to be sent back home?” Joelle asked. “What if I wanted to remain here?” 

    Dr. Crushed gazed at Joelle bewildered. “What made you think like this? And to answer your question, we can’t force you back home if you want to stay. But, Joelle, you don’t belong in this time. There is no telling what is happening in your time on your lifecycle with your absence. There might be unknown changes that are occurring that could be catastrophic.” 

    “I understand,” Joelle said. 

She felt a little heartbroken to hear this, but Dr. Crusher could be right. Her being here this year might be causing unknown events in her timeline. She might not even exist at this time at all.

Back at the bridge, Captain Picard was trying to negotiate with the Cardassians. The captain of the battleship wasn’t going to be easy to negotiate with. 

“By the end of the day, the host will be dead,” the Cardassian captain said with a cruel laugh. “So she will be useless to you. Hand her over and we will leave you be.” 

“I’m afraid I can’t do that, Captain,” Picard said, sternly. “I have a duty to uphold as a StarFleet officer. I must protect not only my own species, but all life that is being threatened.” 

The Cardassian snarled and closed the communication. Picard rubbed the back of his neck and took his seat with a heavy heart. Data stared at him looking for answers on what to do next. 

“What now, Captain?” Riker asked.

“We wait for Dr. Crusher,” Picard said. “It’s up to her now.”

The crew on the bridge sat there feeling agitated. They weren’t sure what the status was with Dr. Crusher regarding the parasite within Joelle. Not knowing was very troubling to Captain Picard. He was at a loss of what to do now. 

“Sickbay to bridge, this is Dr. Crusher,” the doctor sounded very excited over the intercom. “We have removed the parasite.” 

There was an uproar of applause from the crew as Dr. Crusher related the news. Data watched as everyone hugged each other out of excitement. Picard pumped his fist halfway in the air and told Dr. Crusher that she did a great job.