Chapter 7

Joelle laid down on the examining table so Dr. Crusher could run some more tests to figure out what was in her brain. Joelle felt a bit nervous, not knowing what the doctor might find. She looked over at Data who looked relaxed.

"Do not worry," Data said, noticing her concerned look. "Dr. Crusher will find out what is wrong and help you."

"I'm not sure I can, Data," Dr. Crusher said, looking at the computer screen. "But I will find a way. It looks to be some kind of parasitic alien."

"I have an alien in my brain? Where did it come from?" Joelle asked, looking at the screen. "Do you think I got it from time travelling?"

"I believe that whoever abducted you, planted the parasite inside of you," Dr. Crusher said with a pause. "As a tracking device."

"But why would they want to track me?" Joelle said. "I saw their ship explode."

Dr. Crusher shrugged. "Just another added mystery. I'm going to find a way to remove this parasite from your brain. In the meantime, I recommend taking it easy and don't get yourself worked up."

"That might be a bit difficult to do," Joelle said, a small chuckle. "I'm a nervous wreck."

Dr. Crusher chuckled. "I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out, with the help of Data."

"Yes, of course. I am very good at keeping one's mind busy," Data said, a slight smile.

"Well, you two have fun with whatever it is you will be doing. In the meantime, I will get started on finding out a way to get this thing out of you," Crusher said, getting busy with her duties.

Joelle slid off the table, losing her balance. Data caught her just in time. They locked eyes and he titled his head curiously as he noticed a different way she was looking at him. Maybe it was all in his head or maybe it was so.

"I guess I'm a little shaky from what happened," Joelle said, her face beet red with embarrassment. "I'm a bit unsteady."

"I can carry you if you need me to," Data offered, helping her get her balance.

She shook her head. "I'm okay."

"Ms. Carter," Data said, as they walked out of sickbay. "I have something I would like to show you. I believe it will put your mind at ease and comfort you."

She nodded and followed him to his quarters. As soon as the door opened, he stepped aside to allow her to enter first. Joelle made a face and shook her head.

"I'm not sure I want to..." she said, taking a peek inside.

"I will enter first," Data said, taking a few steps and waiting for her.

She figured he wasn't going to take no for an answer so she followed him inside hesitantly. Joelle looked around his quarters curiously. It looked like a normal living space.

"Please, make yourself at home," Data said, disappearing around the corner that led to a bedroom.

As soon as she sat down on the sofa, Data returned with a feline in his arms. Joelle's eyes grew big as he laid the cat in her lap who happily made herself comfortable where she was laid.

"Such a beautiful creature," Joelle said gleefully. "I love her."

"She is not the only beautiful creature here," Data said, as if he didn't think about it.

Joelle shot a glance at him, not knowing if he was talking about her but he was looking at her. He had never taken his eyes off of her after he said that.