Chapter 6

The moment was over when Captain Picard's voice was heard on Data's intercom. He was requesting the two of them to meet him in Joelle's quarters for a surprise for the young lady. The pair of them went down to Joelle's quarters, curious as to what awaited them. As soon as the door opened, they were greeted with loud exclaims of surprise and streamers.

"What's all of this?" Joelle asked, looking around at the decorations and friendly faces she'd come to meet.

"This is your welcome party," Picard said, putting an arm around her shoulder. "This is our way to say welcome to the Enterprise, under the circumstances of course."

"We hope your stay has been comfortable so far," Riker said, giving her a hug from the side. "If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask. We are all here for you."

Joelle's eyes teared up from their kindness. From what she had seen so far from the crew, they acted more like a big family than crew mates. Seeing how they worked together and treated each other made her feel like she was home even though Michigan was constantly on her mind.

"Are you alright, Ms. Carter?" Data asked, concerned with her sudden silence.

"I'm fine," she assured him with a smile. "I'm just taking this all in."

Deanna gave her a hug. "I understand you're feeling a bit overwhelmed. But I'm glad to know you're feeling a small hint of peace here amongst us all."

While Deanna and Joelle went off into the room to talk more, Data sat back and watched the two interact. Riker found himself watching as well.

"Commander," Data spoke up, pulling Riker from his thoughts. "How does one know if they are attracted to someone else?"

Riker turned his gaze to Data in surprise and a smirk crossed his face as he followed his comrades gaze to Joelle.

"Why do you ask? Are you attracted to someone, Data?" Riker asked, already knowing the answer.

"I am unsure, sir," Data replied, his eyes following Joelle.

"Well, Data, the signs of being attracted to someone goes like this," Riker began. "Hearing them speak is like the sweetest melody to the ears. There is something about that person that excites and calms you at the same time. Sometimes you might feel a little mad if you're away from them for too long. And when you're with them, you feel like you're on cloud nine."

Data leaned his head to the right a bit to process what Riker had said about feeling attracted to someone. Did he feel all of those things or maybe most of them? Perhaps not at all.

"Let's put it this way," Riker added. "If you didn't feel attracted to someone, you would not have asked the question."

He had a point, Data thought to himself. As an android, human feelings intrigued him so if he had started feeling this way towards someone, could it possibly mean he was more human than he thought? But was it entirely possible for an android to fall in love with a human, he thought? Data's mind was thinking up different scenarios of perhaps her having feelings for him. She would blush when he would get close to her or touch her hand. She would avoid eye contact sometimes when they would have their interesting conversations.

Data noticed that Joelle was looking at him just then. She and Deanna had been talking for the longest while and he was curious to know what they were talking about.

"Why don't you go and talk to her, Data," Rike said, nudging him on the arm. "You won't find out anything by sitting here staring at her."

Data nodded in agreement and made his way across the room to where Deanna and Joelle were talking. He can't remember when he had first seen her happy and heard her laughing. Deanna noticed him and patted Joelle on the hand, making eye contact with Data.