Trust

6 years before....

      Everyday at exactly 3:30 when Lia walked out of school mum would be sitting at the curb waiting.  On the odd days that she couldn't pick her up it would be an Aunt or Nana there waiting for her.  There had never been a day when she came out and no one was there.  Until today...

     Sitting on the steps at the front of the school Lia watched other kids load into buses as she waited.  Someone was running late she told herself, someone would come soon.  But as the school yard emptied and teachers began to leave Lia got up and went inside to call.  Soon they'd lock up and she'd have to start walking home.  Da would be pissed.

    Just catching the secretary Lia used the office phone to call the one number all the kids were taught to memorize.  Three rings later she heard Hugo answer on the other end. "Mulligan's Pub"

    "Hugo, it's Lia.  No one came to pick me up at school.  Should I walk home?" she'd questioned unsure still on what she should do. 

     "No you stay put and inside till I get there" Hugo answered sounding angry

     "But everyones leaving" she worried more concerned that she would upset someone by delaying there own plans.

    "I'll be there soon.  Let me talk to the secretary love" Hugo using a more gentle tone reassured her before Lia hadn't the phone over to the woman.  A few moments later she was asked to sit at in one of the student chairs in the office.  Someone was on their way.

    That someone turned out to be her Uncle Duncan.  Entering he thanked the secretary then help out a hand to take Lia's backpack.
"Feels like you carry a load of rocks in her lass" he teased exaggerating how heavy her bad was as they exited the school.

   "Was I forgotten Uncle Duncan?" Lia quiestion as he openned the passanger door for her.  Quietly he checked her seat belt before answering.  His always happy eyes looking odd as he frown a little.

   "A family meeting ran over.  Colin was to pick you up" Uncle offered keeping his tone gentle as he explained. 

    That was all he said as they left the school and headed home to Mulligan's Pub.  Colin was her second oldest brother and had turned twenty just last month.  Of her brothers he was her least favorite as he treated her like she was a nuisance.  He would get in big trouble for forgetting her and would be mad.

    Slipping back into the here and now Lia wondered why she would remember that moment now.  Being forgotten at school was barely a blip on shit that had happened in her life.  Six months later when she'd been taken from her own bed above the bar it had ceased to top her list of bad shit.

    "That'll be your brothers" Mum anounced as heavy footsteps came down the outter corridor.  Seconds later the door swung open to confirm it but it wasn't just Finn and Colin who entered.  Hugo, Ivo, Killian and Kai had come too.  That was just fuckin great.

    Knowing what was coming Lia stood and braced herself but it wasn't needed.  All six men seemed to freeze when they saw her stand in her parents sitting room.  No longer the lads she'd been raised with but men.  It was Finn who stepped forward first but cautiously while Lia remained skill.

  "Little dove" her oldest brother whispered his eyes looking like Oliver's had over a month before upon seeing her.  They had really believed her dead and the grief still touched those eyes.

  "Aye though I never liked being called little even if it was true and still is" she offered saying more than she had this past half hour.  It went against her training but Lia allowed herself to move first.  Finn caught her as she jumped and wrapped herself around his 6'2 solid frame. 

   "I'm yours.  Your safe" Finn whispered in her ear catching her offgaurd at the determined strength in what sounded like a promise.

  "Not your fault" Lia murmered for only his ears then stiffend feeling the others move closer.  Feeling it Finn set her down but kept and arm around her sholder.  Knowing he had her back Lia finally stepped away.  Hugging Colin briefly Hugo then pulled her away and into a bone crushing hug.

  "Couldn't stay away love.  Needed to see for myself that it was real " her cousin apologized still not releasing her as grand da stepped into the circle of men.

   "Your Aunt asked you to give the lass space" Alister began as Hugo set her down and moved till she wedged between Finn and Him. 

   "It's okay Grand Da.  Killian, Ivo it's good to see ye again.  See you all finally grew out of the awkard stage" she teased allowing herself the moment feeling safe between her brother and older cousin. 

   "Didna grow at all" I see Killian teased back easily while Ivo and Colin remained silent and made her watch list. 

    "Good thing I cook for a small army.  Dinner's ready.  Lia you'll stay? " Neala asked hessitating and open Lia felt pained by her mums doubt. 

   "Aye mum.  I'll help bring it out" she offered though she was reluctant to leave her safe spot.  A feeling it had been years since she'd felt.

   Following her mum into the kitchen Lia smelled stew which as a child had been a favourite of hers.  Not so much now but she didn't say anything as mum handed her the rolls and salad to take out.  In the corner she saw apple pie another of her childhood favourites.

   "Your brother called to warn us" Mum told seeing her eyes on the pie and Lia made a mental note of it.  Oliver had been good these past weeks but his loyalty was to the whole family.  Which meant he would be held at a distance for now.

    Over dinner she allowed the others to talk as she took a large helping of salad and only a small portion of stew.  When the conversation turned to her Lia set her meal aside.

   "Lia has made plans to stay in her own apartment." Her father offered the answer when Ivo questioned if she was staying with her parents or out at the family house.  Clearly he wasn't thilled by the fact but could do nothing about it.  She was no longer a child who could be ordered about.  Even if he was her father and the head of the Irish Mafia.

   "What" Hugo ground out shooting her a look as he too set down his spoon.  Realizing it was time to set her boundaries Lia sat back and allowed herself to shift back into her mask.

   "Five, almost six years have passed since I was taken out of my own bed.  From under this very roof.  I will not stay here even if it is the only home I've ever known.  I'm not ready yet to answer where I've been.  I will answer why I didn't come home three years ago when I was free to do so.  It wasn't safe and I can't say that has changed." she explained evenly and clearly so there was no misunderstanding on where she stood.

   "Are you saying you don't trust your own family?" Da asked looking angry but taking on the same even tone as he looked at her across the table.

   "There are a choice few in this world I now trust.  Only of a few of them family" Lia answered honestly pushing back her seat. 

    Going around the table Lia kissed both her parents cheeks and her grandfathers.  Then without another word she left the apartment and headed down to her car.  Taking the back door she avoided the pub knowing she'd only run into more family.
As she reached the parking lot she heard someone moving towards her and simply reacted.

   "Fuck" Hugo groaned from the ground where she'd tossed him as Finn apeared hands raised from the shadows.

    "Not tonight.  I'll be in contact" she told them not bothing to apologize as Hugo found his feet again.  Going to her car Lia pulled out of the lot even as she dialed Q.  It was time to get started.

Note:

Hope your enjoying the story so far.  We will soon learn what happened 5 -6years before.  And yes Lia was only 14 years old when she went missing.