25

After spending a few hours flying around Dakarus with Eclipse you reluctantly decided to drop by your uncle's place. Knowing that if you didn't you would be getting a long and boring lecture form your mom and your dad.

      It wasn't that you disliked uncle Stephen. But you didn't really know him all that well. Like your dad uncle Stephen is a brain surgeon.

      Or, he was a brain surgeon.

      Uncle Stephen was never a family man. He chose his career over friends, love, and even family. Your dad was uncle Stephen's younger brother, but unlike his older brother your dad found love, had a family, and settled down. Your dad was still a world renowned brain surgeon, but he, unlike his older brother, put family first.

       Growing up you knew of uncle Stephen. He was one of the worlds best surgeons who was living in New York. But you never actually got to know him. Apart form the 5-7 year get togethers your dad managed to pull off, uncle Stephen was all but a stranger. On the rare  chance you actually got to see him he would look up, passed his phone or his laptop long enough to get your name wrong and hand you some expensive pice of jewelry. Then he would simply turn his attention back to his work.

This would cause a lot of arguments between your dad and his brother.

The last time you saw uncle Stephen was when you had just turned 14. One year before you met Eclipse. It was supposed to be a fun relaxing family vacation. And another chance to get to know your distant uncle. But the family vacation with uncle Stephen turned out just like every other one. With Stephen ignoring everyone else and just worrying about his work. Your dad finally snapped and demanded that uncle Stephen take an interest in his family. Saying that one day, when he's old and no longer of use to the world, he will have no one there for him because he was never there for any of us.

       There was a lot of yelling that night. Most of which you didn't understand the the story to. But what you go out of it was your grandfather was a lot like uncle Stephen. He didn't care about his wife or his sons, all he cared about was his career. And in the end when he wanted a relationship with his sons after his career ended neither of them wanted their father back in their life.

Your dad's warning was clear. If uncle Stephen didn't want to end up all alone like their father did then he would have to change his priorities.

Uncle Stephen didn't like that warning. He stormed out of the house in a fit of rage.

The next time you heard about your uncle was in the news latter that year. Uncle Stephen had gotten into a major car accident and was lucky to even be alive. Your dad tried to reach out to him but your uncle rejected your fathers help. Instead uncle Stephen put all his time, effort, and money into fixing his hands so he could have his career back. Then after that didn't work your uncle simply disappeared.

He only just reappeared. Reaching out to your dad to repair their broken relationship. Form what your dad has told you uncle Stephen has been trying really hard to repair the damage he's done. So when uncle Stephen texted you on your birthday to come to his home so he could properly meet you you didn't have the heart to say no.

You told your dad about the invitation and he told you to take it. Saying it would be good for you to properly meet your uncle.

      So that's how you ended up here, outside a big set of double doors that belonged to a weirdly shaped building.

You knocked on one of the doors and waited for your uncle to answer. After a few minutes of silence you knocked again, a little harder this time. Still nothing.

"Maybe we have the wrong address?" You told Eclipse who was standing right behind you on the stairs. You checked your text messages again.

177A Bleecker Street.

You looked at the address engraved on the building, and sure enough it was the same address your uncle sent you.

"Maybe he isn't home?" You thought out loud. Eclipse roared his agreement.

You were about ready to turn back when the two doors finally opened. You and Eclipse turned back to the building only to become more confused. The man standing in the doorway was not your uncle Stephen. Instead it was some weirdly dressed man with a shaved head who looked nothing like your uncle.

The man looked at you, then your dragon, then back at you completely unamused. "Can I help you?" The man asked in an accent that was unfamiliar to you.

"I'm here to see my uncle." You told the man hesitantly, still not sure what to make of him. "He said this was his house?"

The man studied your facial features for a moment or too, like he was trying to recognize them, then asked, "who's your uncle?"

"Stephen." You told the man. "Stephen Strange." That got the man to smile.

"You're Stephen's niece?" He smiled. Which, judging by the hard lines on his face, was a rare occurrence.

      "Yes?" You answered him. "Dose he live here?"

       "In a sense." The man confirmed, which confused you even more. "Come in. Come in. The Sorcerer Supreme will be thrilled to see you."

      "Sorcerer Supreme?" You asked, looking back at Eclipse to make sure you were hearing that right. "Like a magician?"

      The man frowned. "You don't know?" 

       "Know what?" You asked. "Last time I heard he was in a car accident."

        "I best let him explain then." The man concluded. "But please, come in."

       You shrugged and walked up the stairs into the building with Eclipse hot on your heals. Once you and your dragon were safely in the foyer the doors closed softly behind you.

        "I'll go get Stephen." The man told you before walking up the massive set of stairs that led deeper into the building.

        You looked around the foyer, taking in the weird looking objects that were scattered around the place. All of them looked old and warn, but each one also had a respectable presence about them. Like each one wanted to tell you some spectacular story they had been apart of.

      All in all, this place was weird, cool, and totally not uncle Stephen's style.

       "Like what you see?" A familiar voice asked from the stairway.

       You turned away from the artifact you were looking at to see your uncle coming down the massive set of stairs. Looking up at him there were a ton of questions you wanted to ask, 'where did you disappear too? What made you want to come back? How did you get into that car accident? Who was that weird man? Why do you have all these artifacts in your entryway?' Instead you asked "what are you wearing?"