26

"What are you wearing?" You asked your uncle as he stood at the top of the stairs.

Uncle Stephen stopped his decent, looking at you surprised. Then a kind, amused smile crossed his features. "A cloak." He replied simply with a slight chuckle. "I must say, it's a surprise that that was the first question you asked (y/n)."

You stared up at him as he descended down the stairs, still not quite believing this man was your uncle. "Are you sure you're Stephen?" You asked. "Stephen Strange? One of the worlds best neurosurgeons? The man with so many medical achievements I lost count of? The uncle who could never get my name right, yet he could reattach severed nerves and put a human spine back together piece by piece? Are you sure you're that guy?"

      You watched as something that resembled shame crossed over your uncle's face. "Yes." Stephen agreed. "I wasn't the best version of myself the last I saw you. But I've changed, I've tried to become a better man. A man who is worthy of to be your father's brother. Who is worthy to be your uncle." Stephen sighed, trying to think of something to say. Even though the two of you were related by blood you didn't know each other. Not really. "I hope you will be able to give me a second chance." Stephen finally told you as he stood right in front of you with pleading eyes.

       You looked at this man, standing in front of you in a strange looking cape and weird looking clothes. He didn't dress like the uncle you knew, nor did he talk like the uncle you knew. But he was uncle Stephen. Just... different.

      "Everyone deserves a second chance." You smiled up at your uncle, extending a hand for him to shake. "Especially family."

      Stephen stared at you for a moment in disbelief, then he smiled at you with tears of relief beginning to gather in his eyes. He took your hand firmly, shaking it enthusiastically. "Thank you." Your uncle managed to tell you, his voice soft as he tried to keep it from shaking.

That's when you realized Stephen didn't think you would give him a second chance. Stephen didn't think his family would want him back after all those years of only caring about himself.

      Not sure what else to do you let go of his hand and not a second later did you wrap your arms around your uncle, trying to comfort him with a hug. You would give your uncle a second chance, and knowing your dad, so would he. "What else are families for?" You asked your uncle when you felt him tense up. Then you felt him relax and wrap his arms around you, taking the comfort you were offering him freely.

        Sure, uncle Stephen wasn't immediate family. But he was family, and all you wanted to do for him at this moment was comfort him.

      The two of you stayed like that for a moment or two, before Stephen finally pulled away from the hug, wiping a few tears form his eyes. "Your dad warned me about the dragon." Stephen laughed, trying to lighten the mood. "But he didn't tell me about your hair."

     You laughed at that, reaching up to run a hand through your multi colored hair, "my friend did that to my hair as a prank." You told your uncle with a smile, remembering when Loki turned your hair different colors a few days before the homecoming dance.

      "Without you noticing?" Your uncle asked, raising a brow in question.

"He was... really sneaky." You nodded. "Who was that guy who answered the door?" You asked your uncle. "Does he like, live here or something?" You asked, trying to change the subject. You didn't really want your uncle to know that the friend who dyed your hair was Loki. The Loki who tired to take over the world a few years back. Even if he was only doing it because he was being mind controlled. You knew that if your uncle found out you were friends with Loki it wouldn't be too long before your parents found out.