Chapter 6

ELENORA

"COMING!" I shout, rushing to the door after washing my face mask off.

Why is it that someone always shows up when you are completely indisposed? I check the peep hole and see Ruben. He grins back at me then leans in, giving me a closeup of his eyeball. I shake my head, smiling before I open the door.

"Happy Birthday, girl!" He hands me a bouquet of flowers and balloons.

"Thanks Ruben, you didn't have to get me anything." I place the items on the counter and give him a hug.

"Well, this is embarrassing, 'cause I didn't get you any of that. I just got you this." He smiles sheepishly as he hands me a gift card to the coffee shop around the corner.

"Hey, I love that place, so thank you!" I hug him again, not liking that he's embarrassed by his gift.

"So, who's your secret admirer?" Ruben looks over the flowers and balloons and he wiggles his eyebrows as he picks up the card, clearly wanting me to open it in front of him.

"What?"

"You've been getting a lot of gifts, notes lately," he points out and I scrunch my eyebrows realizing he's right, but I've been so preoccupied about the dumpster fire that is my life that I haven't paid attention.

"Open the card," he urges me.

I rip the back of the envelope and pull the small card out reading the short note:

"Thinking of you on your special day."

"Mrs. Jones told me you have a new friend?" Ruben winks at me. "Are these from him?"

I roll my eyes. "No, I don't. You know how she likes to spread shit around."

I turn the card over to see where or who it came from, but it's blank. "And 'the friend' Mrs. Jones is referring to, doesn't know it's my birthday. It's probably a client." I tell him, but an unsettling feeling comes over me as I look over the stack of mail.

"Speaking of clients, I'm still a client right? I mean, we planned for our family photos around the holidays, but I'd have to book something now, considering how fast availability fills up," Ruben tells me.

"Yes, of course. I'll put you down to take your family pictures." I smile.

"So what's the plan for tonight?" He asks and then he gets serious. "Please tell me you do have plans to go out for your birthday."

I roll my eyes at how serious he suddenly sounds. "Yes, I'm going out. Clara is probably on her way over, will you send her up when she gets here, please?"

"You got it," he assures me. "Well, have fun, but not too much!"

I wait for him to close the door as he leaves then start going through the mail that's been collecting. I sift out four letters that were delivered in the mail without a return address and then the large envelope that Ruben gave me a couple days ago.

My name and address is typed on each one. The first is dated two weeks after I left to stay with my parents. My hands tremble as I open it.

"Where did you go?"

The second note is post-dated a month after.

"Enjoy your vacation while you can."

The third letter is dated last month.

"I will find you, Elenora."

My breathing has accelerated and my hands are shaking so much that I struggle to open the last envelope. "Your parents can't protect you. We have unfinished business."