Chapter 13

ELENORA

I survived the weekend being on lockdown at my parent's house, recovering from the joyous and memorable meet and greet between the Barone's and our family.

Okay, okay, I don't remember much about the night. But thanks to my sisters, who generously shared their versions of what happened—bits and pieces of the night came back to me while I regained my strength after suffering from wine flu.

Luna barely managed to get through her take on it, laughing hysterically. "Girl, you were legendary! That will forever replay in my mind whenever I'm having a bad day."

Jackie repeated the same advice my parents lectured me with. "I'm all for having fun, but after your hospital stay earlier this year, I think you should pace yourself when you're drinking, Nora."

My parents kicked it up a notch. "You're moving back, and you will not be spending time with Clara anymore."

I laughed. "Yeah, that's not happening, on both accounts."

My Nonno's reaction is precisely what I expected as he reminded me of all the terms of endearments he prefers to address me by instead of my actual name. However, all things considered, I left their house relatively unscathed.

I haven't heard from Rico after that night either. No news is good news, right? Clara's plan may have done the trick, and they are backing out of the ridiculous arrangement after meeting the crazy-train girlfriend of their polished, Rico.

I chuckle as I lift the strap of my equipment bag over my head, hoping for the best; I may finally be gaining control of my life even if I had to do it with a hit to my dignity.

Small price to pay in the long run, Nora.

I grab my keys and phone, heading out for a photo shoot at Central Park.

Ruben waves back at me while he's on the phone at the front desk. I inhale deeply when I step outside, smiling before hailing down a cab. The weather is perfect for the shoot today. The sun is out, but there's a crispness in the air with a slight breeze.

The park is not as busy early in the day, but that usually changes in an hour or two. Even during the week, the park is swarming with tourists, so we wanted to take advantage of the minimal crowd in the morning.

Nigel, a regular client, greets me with a wave and a smile. He directs his people to set up some of the backdrops and other equipment as his models sit around idly on their phones while their makeup and hair are being fixed.

He says hello with a kiss on my cheek. "How are you, Nora?"

"I'm good, you? The natural lighting is perfect, don't you think?"

"Yes, we couldn't have planned this out better if we tried." He observes the staff milling around, moving from one area to the next, rushing to get things ready.

Once everything and everyone is ready, we begin the shoot, and I call out instructions on where we should start placing people first.

A few bystanders stop to watch as we work and change out the poses and positions of the models. But, overall, people are respectful of our work, and we have minimal interruptions.

"I'll send you the RAW files later tonight, Nigel."

"Sounds good."

I start to set my camera in its case but stop finding a single black rose sitting on my bag. My heart rate accelerates as my mind immediately goes to the notes and flowers I've been getting. I haven't received anything in a while; I was so preoccupied with this damn get-together that I didn't think much about it.