Chapter 15-Part 1

ELENORA

"Did he apologize at least once?" Clara questions, slurping her margarita cocktail through a straw. She begged me to go out for brunch to make up for not making it to our girls' night in, last night. I've been filling her in on my encounters with Rico including what happened last night.

"I mean, he shows up unannounced, almost ruins your dinner and then you smack your head and end up getting a nose bleed—all because of him."

"I don't apologize. Ever." I lower my voice to imitate him. "Remember?

"What an asshole."

I chuckle. "I will say it's pretty damn funny how clueless and clumsy he is. I mean, the dog shit on his shoe was one thing, but then the fact that he nearly gave himself second degree burns, come on!"

We continue laughing as we finish our meals. "One of the girls at work was telling me about a new latin club opening in Soho. We should check it out."

I sigh. "As much as I'd like to, I think I need to lay low. My parents think I'm going to end up hurting myself or end up in the hospital again."

"That was different, Nora. And what happened on your birthday was because those assholes slipped you something. We can go and not drink."

I stare back at her, knowing that's not going to happen.

Clara rolls her eyes. "Well, maybe one drink. But we won't get white-girl wasted, I promise. Come on, I gotta show off my Samba moves. I've finally nailed it after doing Zumba forever." She shimmies her shoulders.

I laugh. "Friday or Saturday?"

"It opens Saturday."

My phone rings, and Rico's name flashes on my screen. I hold up my phone to Clara and she takes it from my hand and answers.

"They took her! They took her! Hurry send someone, they're going to kill her! They're asking for money!" Clara sounds panicked and then she gasps. "No, please no!" She hangs up the phone and takes a sip of her water glass.

People at the restaurant glance in our direction as we burst out laughing. When my phone rings; it's Rico again but this time I decline it. If he wants to talk he can do it with my voicemail.

"Let's go, before they kick us out." I finish my drink and grab my purse.

"What store should we hit first?"

"How 'bout that cute boutique on 9th and Mercer," I respond as we step out onto the sidewalk. My phone keeps vibrating and I shut it off. "Man, needs to take a hint."

"No more talk about Dicko, let's just enjoy the day and do some retail therapy," Clara says as she hooks her arm in my hand. "What time are you going to your parents?"

"I told Maya I'd be there around two to start the outline for the muriel on her bedroom wall."

We hit all the stores we mapped out and then I head to my parents. My nonno is walking out the front door as I step out of the cab.

"What are you doing here?" he doesn't hide the contempt in his voice.

"I'm visiting my sisters, that okay with you?"

He glares at me and his hand twitches at his side, desperate to make contact with my face. He curls his lip. "Things are always much calmer when you're not around."

"Funny, I think the same about you."

He mutters a string of insults, walking away. I take a deep breath and walk in, grateful he won't be in the house while I'm here.