Chapter 14

FEDERICO

Do it.

Don't be a pussy.

She's rejected you a million times; what's one more?

Yeah, but you never had to work this hard to keep getting rejected. My thumb hovers over the send icon.

"You sure you don't want me to ring her apartment, make sure she's there, Boss?" Mostro shovels his take-out food into his mouth.

"I'm sure." I hit the send icon.

Me: You busy?

I don't wait long for her quick dismissal.

Elenora: Yep.

Me: Oh. I wanted to see if you wanted to grab something to eat?

Elenora: I have friends over, and I already ate.

I take a moment to think of a response.

Me: Another day, then.

She responds by sending a thumbs-up emoji. I think about sending the same emoji, but curiosity gets the better of me.

Me: Who's over?

Elenora: Nunya.

Me: Who's Nunya?

Elenora: Nunya fucking business.

Me: Don't get your vibrating panties in a bunch. It's just a question.

Me: Nigel? Clara?

I don't know if there are other people I should know about in her life. So I make a mental note to have Mickey dig into her socials to see if there's anyone to be concerned about, and then I chuckle at her response.

Elenora: Ben and Jerry.

I'll play along.

Me: Do they know you have a boyfriend?

Elenora: You mean fake boyfriend? Yes, they know all about you. I tell them everything.

I laugh out loud. Knowing her, I don't doubt she talks to her food.

Me: Huh, okay. How come you haven't mentioned Ben & Jerry before?

Elenora: I'm not into texting while I have company over, so I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Me: Right. Make sure you tell them my dick's bigger than theirs combined.

I send her an image, chuckling to myself.

Me: <------3

I settle into my seat, glancing up, and Mostro is watching me from the rear view mirror, with narrowed eyes, mid-bite.

"What?"

"Nothing, Boss."

My phone chimes, calling my attention again to Elenora.

Elenora: Ah, there it is. I was confused why you were texting me. However, this...this is the Rico I know and hate. But careful, you're coming across as jealous, and thanks for sending a true-to-size dick pic. I now know my pinkie finger is bigger than your dick.

I laugh to myself. "Damn, she's ruthless."

"That's what I hear from the guys," Mostro comments, and I look up at him.

"The guys are talking about her?"

Mostro shifts, wiping his mouth, setting his take-out box on the passenger seat. "It's nothing bad, boss. Just that she's a real ball-buster. And...she's a stunner."