Chapter 2 : Potter's History

Chapter 2

It had been two months since Harry, now known as Hadrian, began to live with his grandparents. The place that they were staying at was a castle built by the Potters; every brick in the Castle was enchanted by ancient and powerful ancestors, making the place a literal magical fortress.

The Castle itself was made of black and red enchanted and fortified bricks. The hallway to the drawing room was filled with portraits, trophies, and suits of armor also lined the walls.

But what many people did not know was that the suits of armor that lined the hallway were one of the Castle's protections. The armor could come to life if the Castle were under attack. His grandfather used the spirits of dead Grindelwald followers to make the armor live. To him, death was too easy for them.

One day, when Hadrian was with his grandparents, his grandfather started to tell him the history of the great House of Potter.

The House of Potter was the most ancient and noble house that originated in ancient Rome. During the time of the Roman Empire, the entire world feared the image of a black dragon in a field of red – the banners of the House of Kings conquered both Britain and part of the Roman Empire. Civilians and enemies of Rome alike surrendered once they saw an inkling of the House of Potter.

The House of Potter also produced many war mages, making the family's reputation as a war monger grow in both Rome and Britain. It was their fear that led the Roman Senate to try to end the family by sending five Roman legions to the Potter land. The attack on the family had failed because the legion joined rather than fighting the Potters.

The Senate foolishly believed that the legion would fight against their general when their loyalty had been cemented to the family. Soldiers believed in people who had gone through hell with them, more than cowards who hid behind a wall. The Potters and the legion quickly joined Julius Caesar when he crossed the Rubicon, and together they marched to Rome. After the victory of Julius Caesar and the Potters' in the civil war, the Potter family's reputation, as untouchable and powerful mages, was cemented with the death of the Senate, and the beginning of the Roman Empire. The Potter's power was unrivaled.

It wasn't until the Roman Empire was split in two that the Potters' came back to their homeland, to Britain – or Britannia, as the Romans knew it at the time. The House of Potter was quickly able to conquer and rule magical Britain for hundreds of years. Finally, the Potters established Wizengamot with the help of Merlin and gave them the power to run magical Britain. However, they were still supported by a large army and started to increase their wealth.

The Potter family was also married to many ancient families, muggles and wizards alike; the most significant of the families were the Peverells and the Gryffindors. The Peverells were a family known in ancient times for their practice in obscure magic – magic like necromancy and other fields that pushed the boundaries of reality and time itself. The Peverell family came from ancient Egypt, with many being Pharaohs and Egyptian high priests and priestesses.

Some of the most notable objects that the Peverell family ever created was the Deathly Hallows: three items said to be blessed by Death itself; the elder wand, the resurrection stone, and the cloak of invisibility. These items, if joined together, made the one who united them the master of death. Many had tried to become the master of death, but all failed.

The other object the Peverell family created was the Book of Death. A book that was said to hold the evilest and most vile things that were ever created. The book itself was made using human skin, and its text was written in their blood. The book held many ancient curses and rituals from ancient Egypt.

The Peverell family married into the Potter family during the twelfth century, with Iolanthe Peverell marrying into the Potter family. She was the granddaughter of Ignotus Peverell, the youngest brother of the three brothers who created the Deathly Hallows. In the absence of male heirs, she, the eldest of her generation, had inherited her grandfather's legendary invisibility cloak. It was Iolanthe who explained to Hardwin the tradition in her family that the possession of this cloak had to remain a secret, and her new husband respected her wishes. From then on, the cloak was handed down to the eldest in each new generation.

The Gryffindors were descendants of the Viking invaders of Britain. The family was known as a family that practiced battle magic; the most well-known and powerful of which was Godric Gryffindor, one of the four founders of Hogwarts. Godric Gryffindor's daughter married into the Potter family before he died. The family continued living in secrecy and building their fortune.

——————————————————————————

The Global Wizarding War marked the return of the black dragon. That was one of the reasons that Dumbledore wanted Charlus Potter to join his Order of the Phoenix. The Potter family has the biggest personal army in the wizarding world and the muggle world and has the financial power to wage war for the next hundred generations. Making anyone they support have a better chance of winning any war. While he didn't have the guts to ask, and which would never happen, the Potters, joining someone to fight in a war was impossible.

It wasn't until the Global Wizarding War that the banner of the black dragon was feared once again. During the early rise of Grindelwald, his grandfather was neutral, believing in his words of wizards ruling the muggles. But Grindelwald's obsession with the deathly hallows led him to learn that the Potter family is a descendant of the Peverell brothers. He ordered the capture of his great-grandfather, Henry Potter, in Paris. The kidnapping failed, resulting in the death of Henry and Lolanthe Potter.

His grandfather was in the Russian empire at the time of the attack, attending his sister, Elizabeth Potter's, wedding with the Russian prince, Alexander Romanov.

When he heard of his mother's and father's deaths at the hands of Grindelwald, his wrath knew no bounds; Charlus quickly took charge of the Potter family and raised its banner. He joined forces with the Russian legion and bathed Europe in flames.

His grandfather had gained the title 'Butcher of Leningrad' when he had killed every Grindelwald follower in Leningrad. Charlus then started retaking every conquered nation in the hands of Grindelwald and carved a bloody path through Europe for his head.

But before he could kill Grindelwald, Dumbledore joined the war and defeated Grindelwald in what many call, the duel of centuries. Charlus knew he was hiding a story that he would have to tell Hadrian someday, about the darkest time of the Potter family, the Potter Massacre.

AUTHORS NOTE

Hey guys, I noticed a comment mentioning that this story is very similar to the one by chernabog 90. I was very inspired by him, but it will not be the same. Thank you all for reading and commenting!