15: Of Parties and People

♆♆♆

"So what you're telling me is that you color-code your children instead of getting to know them," Percy asked in disbelief. Alfred was just explaining to her that she ought to choose a color to coincide with the rest of the family for the gala. They'd told her that each Bat typically chose a color and went with that for most public events. She remembered having worn sea-green to the press conference, but Alfred had been sure to tell her that she could change the color before finalizing.

"No! No! I don't color-code my kids," Bruce replied from a room over. Alfred gave a knowing look but decided to remain quiet, though he did offer Percy a sly smile.

"I mean, what colors are taken?" Percy decided on asking rather than outright choosing a color.

"Master Dick has a fondness for royal blue, though he is no longer allowed freedom over his wardrobe for public events. Both Master Jason and Master Tim like red, but young Timothy is more willing to compromise on red accents. Master Damian is very particular about green and Miss Cassandra is mostly impartial though she's settled on yellow," Alfred replied dutifully. Thinking back on their hero costumes, the color-coding was becoming increasingly clear (and so was Dick's ban from costuming decisions.)

Percy thought on this for a moment longer, "D'ya think Dick would be willing to share blue?"

Alfred seemed to consider this before nodding and putting on a gracious smile. They discussed the overall expectations for the gala--rather Alfred went over what she wasn't allowed to do and Percy tried her best to pay attention.

♆♆♆

The night had come, the lights of the upper rooms were dimmed significantly, a ballroom downstairs filled with waiters bustling around to ready the room. Percy had been assigned a couple of people to style her and she felt remarkably like a doll, with her hair pinned out of her face and a dress that tangled with the stylish heels she was made to wear. Cassandra had the same treatment she did and she could hear the boys rummaging around different rooms.

When the lot had been summoned downstairs Percy found it greatly amusing to see all her housemates dressed as Alfred had described. Dick wearing a black suit with a dark blue button-up; Jason with a maroon suit and black button-up beneath; Tim wore a dark grey suit, unbuttoned, with a blood-red pocket square; Damian begrudgingly had an adorably tiny, green velvety suit; and Cassandra had a black floor-length dress with gold thread detailing creeping up the skirt.

Dick came up to her, fixing the collar of his shirt as he spoke, "Do you remember the rules Alfred went over? I know it's a pain to deal with, but we all had to go through our first galas."

In truth, Percy had no recollection of anything Alfred had said before the color-coding. She felt bad for tuning him out but it wasn't always something she controlled. Instead of admitting this to Dick, she nodded enthusiastically and told him "Yep!" as cheerfully as she could muster.

"You don't remember a thing, do you?" He sighed and started to move a hand up, presumably to run through his hair, before he decided against it and cracked his knuckles instead.

"Nope," she let down the act and pressed her lips into a thin line, slouching forward slightly.

"Eh, me neither," he admitted. "Basically just don't draw too much attention, try not to talk with the press, and..." his voice tapered out into thought.

"Don't insult anyone or attack anyone, don't talk about anything hero-related, and don't bring up our histories. That last one isn't one of Brucie's rules, but you'd better follow it," Jason filled in for him, listing the rules with his fingers.

"And don't stress too much either. Anyone gives you shit, you come to me. But anything else and you go with Dildo, over here--" he jabbed a finger at Dick, "--or Tim. Those two have been at it for the longest. Stay away from the Demon Brat after midnight (he's a gremlin, I swear). Cass provides surprisingly good offhanded remarks about the patrons."

"I'll keep that in mind, thanks," she tucked a strand of hair behind her ears.

They entered the ballroom after the reporters had filed in. The lighting simulated candlelight (without the actual fire. Damian was a fire hazard). The group didn't get a chance to talk with Bruce or Selina but Alfred instructed them what to do.

♆♆♆

It had been a couple of hours--a couple of hours too long if you asked Percy--she sat at a table off to the side, swirling the sparkling liquid around the elongated glass. Every time she went to rest her chin on her hand and slump over herself, Alfred strategically situated himself to shoot her a heated glare at her.

She stood, trying to stretch as discretely as possible before walking over to where Jason stood near the refreshments table with his brothers. Cass had gotten away with leaving early, she'd gone up to her room after gazing intensely into Percy's eyes to let her know she'd gone.

Bruce got on stage with an easy smile on, his hand resting on his finaceé's lower back. They were both clad in black, Bruce with his crisp suit and Selina with a strapless black dress with a slit running up her leg showing off the lacy thigh strap she wore.

"Good evening, everyone. I'd like to thank all of you for coming to join my family in the celebration of my engagement with the love of my life." He continued the speech with perfectly practiced emotion to sell the gala getup. He raised his glass at some point, the start of a toast on his lips. The rest of the guests raised their glasses along with him.

Before he could start the toast, he was interrupted by yelling coming from outside the ballroom. Everyone was on high alert as they heard a rather loud grunt followed by a thud. Someone was shouting when the grand doors of the ballroom flew open.

♆♆♆

p.s. hi so this took a little (a lot) longer to upload than i though, sorry lol. So we're finally getting started with the plot now. i cant wait to bring in HArley and Ivy and i forgot to add Steph and Babs here but I'll be sure to bring them in in the not-gala party. if you have any ideas or want to see something written here lmk and I'll try to write it in

i took the PSAT yesterday and i hated it so much. sorry I've been swamped with homework so im not able to produce as quickly. I'm pretty excited for hoco um fuck Sebastian please go bully him. I MET SOMEONE WHO WORKS WITH APHRODITE AND SHES SO??? COOL????

um anyways go stan the lenas and Basil (not Sebastian) for clear skin

xoxo i love you all so much, thank you for being patient