Christmas Special

(this chapter is not chronologically aligned with the rest of the story)

The windows were glossed over with thin sheets of frost that made their way slowly towards the center of the glass pane. The morning sunlight shine off the pristine white snow that blanketed the grounds of the Wayne Manor, creating a soft, cool light that entered into the breakfast nook in the Waynes' kitchen.

Jason sat looking out of the window, his cable-knit jumper stretched tightly against his broad chest as he wrapped his hands around a mug of his favorite tea blend. He often likes to get up early, though recently nightmares had been keeping him up. He ran a hand through his hair, it was unstyled and lacked its usual product so he was okay with breaking up his tight curls.

The kitchen door swung open, much to Jason's surprise; it was much too early for any of the bats to be up and Alfred was visiting his daughter for the holidays. Selina walked in, a yawn heavy on her mouth. She wrapped her cardigan tighter around herself, the thick fabric pulling at the silk of her pajama pants. Her fluffy pink socks dragged across the cold white marble of the kitchen floor.

"G'morning," Jason greeted around his mug.

Selina looked over at him and shot him a sleepy glare.

"Aren't cats supposed to be asleep at–" he glanced at the clock above the stove "–six in the morning?"

She yawned as she set up her stovetop espresso pot. "Yes, but not on noche buena."

"Huh, I forgot that was today," Jason replied offhandedly. He took a sip of his tea.

"Nothing planned, then?" She asked as the coffee was starting to brew, the sweet aroma taking over the crisp air in the room. "Why don't you invite Roy?"

"Nah, I'm sure he's already busy," he said, getting up to stretch. "It's really short notice."

"Oh yeah," sarcasm leaked into her voice, "I'm sure he's oh-so busy at Oli's Christmas party. Plus, what's one more? Your brothers are all bringing their boytoys. I think Percy's bringing her girlfriend, too."

"I'll talk to him later."

"Okay. Just be sure to let me know what he says so I can set the table." She'd poured out splash of coffee that she was mixing with sugar to make something of a paste. She poured that back into the coffee pot to let the rest of the brewing coffee dissolve the sugar mixture.

"What's got you so domestic this Christmas? Aren't you the one who just won't settle in?" Jason asked good-naturedly.

"I don't know," she sighed, serving herself a shot of expresso. "It's been a while since I had family to celebrate with. I mean, obviously I've been with Harley and Ivy for a couple of years, but we could never really gather—unless you count going to the Iceberg Lounge and hoping Joker doesn't come along."

"Plus," she rested her hand on her lightly raised stomach, "Helena's got me feeling maternal."

"I get what you mean," Jason said, getting an espresso for himself, "I remember this one Christmas where Mamá made something—can't remember what it was, but it sure tasted good—and she got together all the working girls in the building and we just ate. It was nice."

"Well I'm making lechón, and you're more than welcome to help out." The cat-like grin she usually wore was back now that she was finally awake.

Jason sipped tenitivly at the coffee, his eyebrows scrunched at the too-sweet taste. "Right, well, Im gonna go now. I promised Kori I'd explain a couple of things to her. Thanks for the coffee."

Jason stepped out of the room, as he did so he swore he heard Selina mumble "y que carajo voy a hacer yo con dos puercos?"

p.s. hey guys how are we? I felt like writing this since it's noche buena. Also selina is canonically cuban and we don't talk about that enough???
I might write the other half of this chapter layer but I don't wanna rn cuz I got new nails that are longer than usual and I cant type lmao.
Latinx characters bonding fuck You

What are y'all doing for the holidays?

Peace and prosperity be with you, ilysm :*