Epilogue - Part 2

Epilogue - Part 2

"Congratulations," Mom said rather proudly.

Vito snorted. I looked at him and frowned. "What?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Nothing. Tita was just so proud—we all are," he said in that patronizing tone that I was all too familiar with. I just flipped him off and he laughed before he said goodbye because he'd be joining his family for what I'd bet was an awkward family dinner.

My family and I went to a restaurant to celebrate my graduation. I knew my mom was so proud because for the first time in my educational career, she didn't have to donate a building to get me a diploma. I seriously think it was because I actually enjoyed what I was studying. You couldn't expect me to excel in class when all they asked me to do was to find the value of fucking x and to discuss the histories of countries I really didn't care about.

"So..." I said as I was cutting my steak. "Do I start from the bottom or what?"

Mom creased her forehead. "What?"

"The business," I said. "Do I start working from the bottom? Or do I already get a seat on the table?" I asked.

I mean... there's no use in fighting this. This was my destiny. And it's not like I had other plans, anyway. I just really wanted a comfortable life and I already had it.

"You wanna work?" Mom asked.

I laughed. "Yes. I don't plan on being a bum my entire life."

She nodded. "When?"

"As soon as possible, I guess?"

"And you don't have any plans with your friends?"

"What plans?"

Mom shrugged. "I don't know... when I graduated, I traveled around the world for a while," she said and then reached for Dad's hand and held it. "Met your dad," she continued. "Brought him home with me," she said as she stared lovingly at my father who obviously was forcing a smile on his face. I just smiled, too, as I reached for a glass of wine and downed it in one gulp.

"When you start working, there's practically no rest, Nikolai," Mom said.

"So... are you saying you don't want me working?"

"What? No, of course not. I just want you to enjoy your life because once you start working for the company, there's no turning back."

I laughed. "You make it sound like working is some kind of prison," I said and then Dad choked on his drink. Mom quickly grabbed a tissue napkin and handed it to him.

I stared at them.

Well... as much as I didn't approve of my Dad's philandering ways, my Mom's really in love with him, so who was I to get in their way?

* * *

"What's your plan?" I asked Vito.

"Plan?"

"Now. Post-graduation plans," I said.

We were in the country club playing golf. Sancho's in Isabela trying to milk a cow or whatever. It's actually been quite lonely because Vito here got himself a girlfriend, who I was quite certain was a devil in disguise.

"I have no idea," he said as we were walking across the golf course.

"Family business?"

"Not if I have a choice."

"That bad, huh?"

"You have no idea," he replied.

"So, what? Politics?"