Epilogue - Part 6

Epilogue – Part 6

I wished I was just really losing my mind. Jersey's been acting so freaking strange lately. I asked her once, but she just shook her head and told me that she's fine and that I should just focus on reviewing. I wanted to ask her again... but she already said that she's fine. She knew she could count on me... So, I dropped it already. She would talk to me when she's ready. She knew that I would always be right beside her and behind her—whatever she needed.

"Shanelle," I called.

We were not really friend friend... but she's nice. And I thought that it was unfair that the only reason why I was keeping her at arm's length was because I felt like being close to her was equivalent to betraying Assia.

She's with Vito... or whatever.

That's seriously none of my business.

"Have you talked to Jersey?" I asked.

"Di masyado."

I nodded. "Did... she mention any... problem?" I asked because I really wanted to help her but I felt like I couldn't ask her again. I didn't want to risk pissing her off when I felt like she's already—

Nope.

Not gonna go there.

"None that I can remember," she replied. But she's such a good liar that I couldn't tell if she was telling the truth or if she was upholding some kind of girl code. But either way, I felt relieved... kinda. If she's telling the truth, then it's good that Jersey's fine and I was just being paranoid. If she's upholding some kind of girl code, then I was happy for Jersey for having another friend. Because as far as I could remember, her only friend was Indie from SCA. I didn't consider Bentley as her friend.

I focused on reviewing because I badly needed to pass the BAR in one take. Aside from the humiliation that I'd feel if my friends passed and I didn't, I wanted to focus on the 'next' chapter of my life. I was still torn if I would practice law or if I would begin to help with the family business. I asked my parents before but they told me that my help wasn't that needed yet and I still have a few years to try to use my degree or something.

It's so weird because I felt like Vito should've been their son—that guy would do anything to get out of running their business. While I, on the other hand, was being given the freedom I really didn't ask for.

Life's weird like that.

I left while they were still reviewing because I wanted to pick Jersey up from school. I wanted to have dinner with my girlfriend. Even if she was not really communicating with me, I just wanted her to feel my presence. For her to know that I wasn't lying when I said that I had her back—that I meant every word when I said that.

I parked in front of the gate. I planned to wait inside the car but I got bored because it's already 11PM and classes usually end at 9:30. Maybe her class extended... even if today's the first week of class. But I still got so bored, so I got outside. I stood beside my car as I waited for her. I saw some of the guys from the frat and I just politely nodded at them, although I really wanted to distance myself from them. I just wanted to focus on the BAR, Jersey, and what I'd do after the BAR. I already spent most of my life drinking and partying—I was kinda done with that life already.

"Hey..." I said when I saw Jersey. She was with Bentley, but I chose to ignore him. What's important was that she's here.

"Kanina ka pa?" she asked. There was a tone that suggested that she'd rather not have me here, but I chose to ignore that. I was just being paranoid.