Daughter of the Copy Cat, Rescuer of the Raven Chapter 24

Kakashi was coming home in two days; in the meantime, I was trying to stay out of the house as much as possible. I wasn’t used to living alone; even in my trip to the snow, I merely slept in a tent. If I ever got lonely I could just walk three steps outside and find someone worth talking to. In a house, there were seemingly endless rooms of loneliness and silence. The presence of others was comforting- welcomed.

So, here Kiba and I sat. He and I, despite our lack of communication since joining our squads, have always been close- just like Naruto and I had become. The Inuzuka knew of the hatred I had of an empty home, so he dropped by and invited me out- obviously I agreed, leaving immediately.

Although, we were silent. It was tense between us, and it was my fault. On many occasions Kiba had started a topic that would’ve normal had me laughing and smiling, but I’d merely nodded and stayed silent. Kiba seemed to pick up on my mood, and sipped his drink in silence, avoiding eye contact.

“I’m sorry.” I finally sighed, my shoulders heaving up and down. My apology was genuine, and my frown was prominent. The brown haired male glanced up, surprised that I had even spoken.

“What for?” Raising and eyebrow, I sat back.

“What do you mean ‘What for’? I’ve practically ignoring you this whole time- not intentionally of course, but ignoring none-the-less.” Kiba pouted, puffing out his bottom lip like a child.

“Well, yeah. You have been. But it’s cool; we haven’t spoken in a while, after all… Things change, people change…” My eyes widened as his gaze reverted to staring at the straw poking out of his glass, and I realised that he thought I’d grown out of our previous friendship.

“No! No, Kiba, it’s not like that at all!” The man returned his attention to me again, confused now.

“Then, what is it?” I bit my lip, lapsing into silence again as my thoughts ran wild. “Ayame, you’re thinking.” Blinking a few times, I returning to reality.

“Yeah, I am, aren’t I?” Kiba leaned forward, propping his elbow on the table and resting his chin in the palm of his hand.

“Well I’m ready to listen.” I opened my mouth to say something, before closing it again. Somehow, I was having second thoughts; yet I had no trouble talking to Sai. Puffing out my cheeks, I decided to man up.

“How good of a mother do think I’d be?” Kiba blinked a few times, my question throwing him off guard.

“Uh…”

“In all seriousness, how do you think I would be with a baby?” Kiba was silent for a moment, before smirking.

“Well, I’m sure you’d forget about it. You can be a bit of an airhead sometimes, y’know. Plus, you’d probably be the biggest pushover when it got older, and you’d cave every time it cried and it’d be spoilt because you’d feel bad if you denied it somethi-“ He cut himself off, seeing the despair in my eyes. Lifting his head off his hand and bringing the other out from under the table, he reached across and took my hands- which were resting on the surface in front of me- into his. His eyes bore into mine, and I swallowed. “Ayame, are you...”

“No! No, no! I-I’m just curious!” Kiba let out a breath, seeming relieved.

“Okay, good. You don’t seem like the type to simply…” He chuckled, shaking his head. “Never mind, I’m just happy. Something like that can ruin a life.” Feeling the need to make his statement false, I spoke up. Although, I didn’t know if it was because I refused to face that possibility if I agreed to Sasuke’s proposition.

“I’ve seen women who’ve had children at my age, and they’re perfectly happy with their lives!” Kiba frowned, leaning back and crossing his arms.