SaffronGrey - The Reunion

Hunter had needed the exercise. He had been cooped up for too long in Pie Rod's apartment.

"Watch out for the kids!" Cayce called as he through the tennis ball high into the air.

Hunter was intelligent. He watched the ball, hopping back and forth in anticipation for the ball he knew would come down. All he had to do was wait for it. Cayce watched with amusement, smiling at his pet, and then he suddenly straightened up.

The hair on the back of his neck raised. There was an idol very near.

Hunter must've felt it too. The ball landed in front of him, but he was too attentive at something else, ears up, stance ready to run. The dog was sensing something Cayce couldn't, who looked around. Kids and parents were all over the park, like everyone decided to go early today of all days.

The dog suddenly ran toward the street, catching Cayce by surprise. Hunter was running toward a red-haired figure. So odd-looking even from a distance, this had to be the idol... a girl, by the looks of it. But as Cayce neared... he slowed... he took in the face under the red hair... the uniform.

Hunter stopped at her feet and sat, tail wagging, looking up at her expectantly. She bent down and pet his head, scratching behind his right ear just how he liked. Only she knew that trick. She watched as the anarchist slowly approached.

Her smile was hesitant. "Hi," she said quietly.

Cayce shook his head, bewildered. "What the hell, Lana? What are you doing here?"

"Working," she sighed, kneeling down to rub Hunter's stomach. The dog was ignoring the tension between them; he was getting a good stomach-rub out of this.

"That's really all you have to say?"

"That's sort of all I'm allowed to say, Cayce."

He narrowed his eyes at her. "How long were you...?"

"Maybe since forever? But I didn't get a message until the morning I left."

"You've been gone for over three years."

"I know."

"Everyone thinks you're dead."

"I assume so."

"You never called."

"Sorry."

"You're sorry? That's it?"

"I heard about Broken Hill," said Lana. "You know how dangerous this life is. I can't do whatever the hell I want. Obviously, you can't either. You've been stuck here for months."

"How do you-?" Lana tapped her temple. "Right.... You're one with a voice too?"

She nodded. "It's not easy."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"My time was before yours. You thought I'd be okay with dragging you along? What if you'd died or something?"

Cayce decided not to mention the fact that he already did. "You could've let us know you were okay... let me know...."

"I wanted to keep you safe... my parents, our friends... but mostly you, Cayce."
The anarchist nodded. "So... are you a messenger or something?"

"Yeah. I just delivered a message, and I've got a few more. There are more idols around than you think. The number of players is growing... and I don't think that's a good thing."

"What do you know?"

"Only what the voice tells me, which is never enough. Make sure you're careful, alright? The game's getting more dangerous. Sitting still makes you a magnet for trouble... but I guess that's something you've always been doing."

They exchanged sad smiles, ones carrying battered hearts, losses, and things not said.

"Are you straight now?" she asked.

"Uh, yeah, I've been good."

She smiled. "That's a relief to hear."

"How long do you plan on sticking around?"

"For however long the voice lets me. If I'm near, I'll find you. Being a messenger is a lonely road." She turned to Hunter. "I gotta go, boy. You take care of him, alright?" Lana smiled and stood, smoothing out her skirt. "I should get going."

"Okay, then."

"Okay." She turned and started walking away, her head a little low, red hair waving in the small breeze.

Cayce watched her walk away until she disappeared around a building.