-3- Axel💓

I can't believe you're doing homework for them , said Amber as we walked to her house.

School was out and after giving Jake the homework he'd asked for , I met Amber listening behind a wall. She didn't mind it whenever I did their homework in general but today she was pissed for some reason. I wondered if it had something to do with Erick and decided to ask.

"Why does it bother you so much? Usually you're fine with it.

"Stop saying that like it's a good thing! I still think you doing homework for others in general is a bad idea.

"How else am I supposed to get money for college? You really think my mother is going to pay?

It was silent for a short while and I stopped walking to give Amber time to think.

"I'm sorry Ax, I'm just really pissed at them. Those guys are jerks.

"I know. You don't need to worry, I'm just doing homework for them , nothing else.

That seemed to make Amber feel better and soon we were standing in front of her house. The grass was wet since it had rained earlier and we stood there in silence until Ambers mom saw me through the curtain of the kitchen window and came out wearing a raincoat.
She smiled and hugged Amber before turning to me and hugging me too.

"You kids hungry? asked Ambers mom.

"I could eat. Cafeteria food is just the worst, said Amber.

"Go put your bags in your room Amber and then you guys could eat some chicken mayo sandwiches I've made.

"Sounds great Mrs. Jones.

"Thanks Maggie, said Amber

Amber laughed at my politeness and although I've been at Ambers house a dozen times I still managed to greet her mother the formal way. Amber had been adopted from this family three years ago and before then she was running from every home she got sent to. I'd like to think that this home was the place for her but with Amber I could never be sure. Her mom was quite nice and I hoped Amber wouldn't get the urge to run again

We headed up the stairs to Ambers room and the second we were I relaxed and plopped myself on her bed. She left and returned with a plate of her mother's sandwiches which I took willingly. Her house was quite nice and whenever I'd stay here it felt like I was home for real. I took off my jacket and I flinched as Amber screamed.

I turned around to find out why when suddenly I saw it. A bruise on my right shoulder. I walked to Amber and took her hands in mine trying to calm her. It took a few minutes and in the process her mother barged into the room, a worried look on her face. Once Amber was calm her mother left us and came back with some medical supplies. Ambers brother was a adrenaline junkie and got into accidents often. They pretty much had bandages everywhere in the house and Ambers mom helped me ease the pain with some meds which I had to take every two hours.

The door opened again and suddenly we all froze. Luckily it was Ryan, Ambers brother and I winced as the pain got worse.

"Mom we're out of bread and we need cough medicine - woah. Axel what happened?

Amber scoffed.

"Jake! that's what happened. I can't believe you let them push you around like that Ax.

"Amber please! now's not the time. It's not a big deal really. I've had worse.

"It's still not okay man. Tomorrow I'll talk to them and knock some sense into Jake. He can't go around causing people to bruise, said Ryan crossing his arms.

"Ryan, that's not necessary honey. All Axel needs right now is something to ease the pain. It'll go away, said Maggie.

"Axel you should stay here. It's better since you can get the meds you need and I can keep an eye on you, said Maggie.

"Okay. I was gonna crash here anyways. Can I call my dad? I don't want him to worry.

"Of course.

Amber handed me my phone and I stared at the keyboard. Ryan left to go buy groceries and Amber took her mom downstairs. I hated lying and these people were like family to me but I couldn't bring it in my heart to tell them.
Whenever I'd stay at Ambers I would pretend to call my dad and ask him if I could stay over. At first I did it cause it was a requirement and I wanted to seem normal but the fact that Amber didn't know the truth killed me.

My house in general was a mess on it's own. My dad was always at work , never home and my mother had been a alcoholic as long as I've known her. I lied because if Amber knew the truth she'd treat me like I couldn't do anything for myself. I'd crash at her place mainly and whenever I couldn't I'd stay at my neighbor , Mr. O'Brien's place. He knew about my situation and said that I could stay there whenever I wanted and I thanked him. I was luckier than most.

The door opened and Amber came back carrying a glass of water with two small white tablets.

"Mom said this'll help with the pain. What'd your dad say?

"Oh um he said I could stay here. We didn't speak long , he had a case he had to get back to.

"Great! We can go downstairs and watch a movie if you want to , said Amber , I knew what she was doing and smiled.

"Sure. As long as it's not some sappy romance movie I'm in.

"Please ax??? I'm begging you!!!

"Alright alright. Just stop shouting and give me the pills.

"Okay, here you are. Cmon hurry up.

I drank the pills then told Amber I'd meet her downstairs. I rinsed my face with water and tried to calm myself before heading downstairs. Amber was sitting on the couch and the movie was already playing. She seemed focused on her phone and I knew she was talking to Erick. I didn't want him mad at Jake too and decided to deal with that issue tomorrow. I focused on the screen and made myself comfortable on the couch.
Amber called Erick and they spoke for about an hour before she joined me on the couch and fell asleep.

I was about to fall asleep too when my phone buzzed. A notification came through and I clicked to see who had messaged me this late.

Unknown number: Use some ice for the bruise. Sometimes it helps ~ D.